strange sweat patch on hip.

luffers

Feb 27, 2008
New forest
Today we went to see Tibby, when we got there she had a wet patch on her side, it looked like water had been dripping on her right hip. As we tacked her up I noticed it was wetter, but didn't really think much of it. We took her in the arena and our mention that they have noticed that Tibby gets a wet patch on her hip when she's worked. Does anyone know what this could be!!!!!!

My friend's horse had this on one hip after she'd banged it on the side of a trailer - a dark sweat patch right over the bony bit of her hip.
She was given bute and it went after a couple of days. I agree that it's probably related to an injury and if it doesn't go away I'd get someone to look at it.

It's just on one hip along one of the muscles, it's not there all the time just when she's worked. I thought at first my other horse was dribbling on her when he was drinking. I've found out from someone that it's cos quarter horses have double the muscles and so the sweat has to come out anywhere it can, and Tibby's sweat patch is her hip, apparently this lady had a QH mare and her sweat patch was on the withers.

It's just on one hip along one of the muscles, it's not there all the time just when she's worked. I thought at first my other horse was dribbling on her when he was drinking. I've found out from someone that it's cos quarter horses have double the muscles and so the sweat has to come out anywhere it can, and Tibby's sweat patch is her hip, apparently this lady had a QH mare and her sweat patch was on the withers.

It might be that there is a muscle strain or something there that brings on sweat sooner than the other side. If there is no lameness or lack of symetry in the step then it is probably nothing to worry about but next time you have the vet down mention it to him.

Not sure if this would apply, but my horse has exactly the same thing but 2 patches either side of his neck, the hair is actually slightly bleached now so you can see the patches all the time but they are dry until he gets hot then they are dark and soaking wet. The vet says it is Horners Syndrome which can occur after a virus etc No treatment necessary and no further symptons. Nerve endings damaged i think he mentioned.

Last edited:
Roo has a patch on his neck, but it's only noticeable in the spring... you can see the white sweat mark round it too!

DSC01220.jpg

Roo has a patch on his neck, but it's only noticeable in the spring... you can see the white sweat mark round it too!

DSC01220.jpg

Thats exactly the same as my horses patch except he has 2 - one either side, shape almost identical and colour too plus the white powdery ring around edge ! As i say my vet says its Horners Syndrome

newrider.com