Strange sweat patch

martini55

Apr 16, 2004
Scotland
Visit site
Just thought I'd see if anyone has had any experience of this. A couple of summers ago, Martini randomly developed a sweaty patch about 2-3cms diameter on the left side on her neck near her shoulder. It was always there apart from on colder days. I was baffled by it and asked the vet wondering if it was trapped sweat gland or something like that. The vet just shrugged his shoulders and dismissed it. Basically he had no idea:rolleyes: I can't remember it being particularly noticable last summer...

This year I have noticed it has gotten much bigger though, I'll see if I can get some pictures of it. Everyday, if it is not sweaty, there will be dried in white sweat marks.

I just have no idea what causes it or what it could be related to. It causes her no problems, she doesn't sweat enough from it to cause dehydration or anything serious. Just really wondering what it is really. It's strange how it is just this area :confused:

My friends old QH had this as well, just in front of the shoulder. His showed up anytime he was stressed/hot etc.

J x

I've since had a proper equine vet look at it. She suggested that it is probably a nerve misfiring that is causing it for some reason. Another possibility (but very unlikely) is Horner's Syndrome... which I couldn't really find much about when I googled it but it is something to do with the nervous system. I was told to keep a watch on my horse's eyes and if the pupils appear unusually small or if the eye appears sunken then it could be what it is.

Just now I am just keeping an eye on it. It doesn't cause her any problems but if it gets any larger then we will do a biopsy and look into it further :)

newrider.com