string girth

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
I read somewhere that a good string girth is a really good thing for some horses (hopefully round horses without withers lol)
Did I read that on here?
Anybody got any opinions on string girths?

Yes, I have a Stubben trevira cord (sounds nicer than string! :wink:) girth as an option for Jack.

well mohair is wool from angora goats so I wouldn't expect to put it in the washer.
Minnie has a well fitting saddle but she is just so round. I was hoping a string girth would be a little less slippery while still being very comfy.

What did the horses think about it? Yay? Nay?

I ride in western gear and I use a string girth (weaver smart cinch) for my round pony and like it. It's soft and stays cool and I hand wash mine and it looks new everytime. dries quickly too. not sure about english girths, but I bought little wrap around buckle covers so they aren't directly against my ponies skin. that's the only thing I don't like about it.

I think girths are a matter of personal choice for horses.

Heather Moffet recommends Professional Choice girths - mine absolutely hated it, cow kicked for the first time ever when being girthed up, and even with a Mattes Platinum girth sleeve!!!

Leather padded and shaped is his thing!

Trial and error I think.

Well I'll trial it.
I ordered a Montana Cincha 100% Mohair Endurance Girth. Finger crossed.

CeriFen, thanks for the tip. I got the version with the optional neopren backing behind the buckles!

newrider.com