Struggling to switch between saddles!

MaisieMoo

Oct 19, 2007
Last year I mostly competed dressage so lots of flatwork schooling and I got myself a lovely dressage saddle which really helped my position.

This year we’ve been focusing a bit more on jumping and XC so I’ve been riding in my GP saddle mostly and riding with short stirrups to try and secure my lower leg for XC.

However I’m finding it really difficult to switch between the two – I’ve got a dressage competition this weekend and had a lesson on Friday and my legs were flapping about everywhere! My hips were tight and I couldn’t get the nice deep seat I’m used to. Last night was the same. If I ride in my GP however my leg is secure albeit more forward - it's as if my hips have tightened up because I've reduced the amount of riding I do in my dressage saddle and I'm now struggling to get my leg back and down.

Does anyone struggle switching from one saddle to the other for different disciplines and do you have any suggestions on how to stop this problem?

I try to do lots of work without stirrups when I ride in my dressage saddle but that’s not helping much at the moment although my hips feel nice and stretched today (ouch!)

Cant really offer advice on switching as I only have one saddle :(

But the no stirrup work might help if you do it often enough

goodluck for the weekend though

newrider.com