Studs for Cross Country

Dannilee

Sep 27, 2007
Hi Everyone

I am booked in to do a Christmas Hunter Trail in December but I am a bit concerned about the ground as I know it will be muddy and slippery. I have done a few cross country courses before but never when it is wet. I am just wondering about getting some studs and was a bit confused with all the different types or whether to have them on the front or back?? Any help would be appreciated. I will be jumping about 3’3 if that matters??

Thanks

Having had a fall 2 yrs ago on the flat when XC schooling I now always use studs. You just need to get your farrier to put stud holes in at your next shoeing (mine charges another fiver on top :rolleyes:) I have 1 in each shoe but you can have 2. As for type of stud, you need to invest in a small collection so you can stud according to ground conditions on the day. i.e. for harder ground you want the finer pointy ones and for wet ground the fatter ones.

I've got one of those tools that threads the hole and also acts like a spanner which is really good + the bottle opening from my picknic hamper as its great for cleaning out the holes first!!

Enjoy! :D

Thanks for that Sticky's GF the farrier is due out soon so i will just ask him to put some stud holes in. I have bought a stud kit now so hopefully will have the right studs for the day !! Cant Wait !!

D :)

newrider.com