Stupid forelock question

madisond

Jun 3, 2021
I’m new to riding and I am thinking of getting an ear bonnet for my pony and every picture I’ve seen you don’t see the forelock. I’m wondering what do you do with it? The pony I ride has a decently long for lock where it is about an inch above his eyes. I just don’t know what to do.

I just leave the forelock and put the bonnet over, or some of them have a hole for the forelock to poke out through.

As above - mine's forelock is down to his nose, I cut a hole for it in his fly mask, but to be honest, it doesn't seem to bother him with the ear bonnet.

Nothing to do with an ear bonnet, but my lad has a hugh amount of forelock, nearly back at his nose again after i chopped it all off and is head shy. So before i put his bridle on i have to part the forelock and tuck behind his ears. Then the bridle holds it back in place. If i dont part and tuck it behind he will get very upset and reach for the sky, thrash around if i try to pull it out over the brow band. I will then have difficulty with bridling for the next week.
I got an ear bonnet to help with his headshaking but the ear bonnet wouldnt stay on his head, due to so much forelock under the poll and his short ears. He was irritated by it, shook his head and the bridle would just slid off, so i gave up using a bonnet on him.

newrider.com