Stupid Question - what does 'Declare' mean?

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Ok I know I'm thick and I kind of guess it means telling someone you've arrived but what exactly do I have to do?

I'm so nervous, I've entered our first Intro test on Sunday. I'm hacking over and will probably be on my own as it's early. I'm a complete numpty but I've never even been to a dressage event as a spectator so I've no idea what to do. Do I just find the secretary and tell them I'm there? How do I manage that with a horse?

Is there anything else I need? I know about what to wear (it's on the website). Not sure about how to actually start the test - RI said I was allowed to ride round and come in when I'm ready and she did say how long I had before I have to be ready but I can't remember!

I'm so scared, there's a good chance I'll withdraw before Sunday. No idea why I'm so nervous, it's only 3 minutes or something after all! I think it's just the fear of making a complete fool of myself in front of a load of other people. Just been looking at the times and there's some really posh sounding horse names and double-barrells on there too - can just imagine everyone else immaculate on beautiful well-schooled horses and me and Raf making a total b*ll*cks of everything, spooking at all the posters and stopping for a wee (Raf not me) on the walk on a loose rein :mask:

Ok I know I'm thick and I kind of guess it means telling someone you've arrived but what exactly do I have to do?

I'm so nervous, I've entered our first Intro test on Sunday. I'm hacking over and will probably be on my own as it's early. I'm a complete numpty but I've never even been to a dressage event as a spectator so I've no idea what to do. Do I just find the secretary and tell them I'm there? How do I manage that with a horse?

Is there anything else I need? I know about what to wear (it's on the website). Not sure about how to actually start the test - RI said I was allowed to ride round and come in when I'm ready and she did say how long I had before I have to be ready but I can't remember!

I'm so scared, there's a good chance I'll withdraw before Sunday. No idea why I'm so nervous, it's only 3 minutes or something after all! I think it's just the fear of making a complete fool of myself in front of a load of other people. Just been looking at the times and there's some really posh sounding horse names and double-barrells on there too - can just imagine everyone else immaculate on beautiful well-schooled horses and me and Raf making a total b*ll*cks of everything, spooking at all the posters and stopping for a wee (Raf not me) on the walk on a loose rein :mask:

Firstly breath!!! :D

As my husband always says to me stop going through all the ‘what ifs’ in your head and getting yourself in a state when nothing has even happened yet :D :redface: breath and enjoy

I presume they are asking you to declare on arrival? Either way when you arrive go to the secretary and get your number (might also be on the times if they have posted them) let them know your there. When your time has come to do your test at a convenient moment acknowledge the judge and I sometimes state my number and a good morning / good afternoon – thank you type opener. Sometimes if busy ask if it’s a bell or voice to start the test so I am aware of what I need to be listening for.

As they say no question is a bad question – if you’re unsure just ask someone.

Forget everyone else that’s there – there’s nothing in a posh name. Sometimes the best schooled horse can have an off day so just go and enjoy yourselves and take in your first experience with pleasure.

If you think your horse will be unsure of some sights ride round past them before the bell (you normally get a few good minutes as they write up the previous test) remember to let them see the sights from both ways also. I ride right next to a café area when doing some test I always go by on both reins just to make my lad aware and I always ride down at the judge in the shed box too so its not a shock as we enter and go down the centre line.

Stay calm, treat it as a none stress event, breath, relax and enjoy :D good luck!

As Nookster says

Stay calm, treat it as a none stress event, breath, relax and enjoy good luck!

Which test are you doing? Rocky and I did our first ever test last month and came home with a rosette - if we can do it - so can you:biggrin:

I had a wobble just as i was due to go into the arena - in the end I asked a friend to call the test for me, I knew that I knew it but it helped to know someone was calling it just incase I forgot half way round:redface:

Good luck and enjoy

Oh you'll enjoy it! I did a walk & trot test with Ziggy when I'd only had him 6 months and we came 2nd because he was obedient and active, even though his nose poked out the whole time. I was gobsmacked!

Let's have lots of pictures of beautiful Rafi strutting his stuff.

I always ride down at the judge in the shed box too so its not a shock as we enter and go down the centre line.

OMG I'd forgotton about the judges - I've practised in the arena (have had lessons there) but of course there isn't usually a car full of judges sitting directly opposite us as we come up the centre line! That might be the very first obstacle, can imagine Raf will want to stop and gawp, so leg on! Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately (phew) don't think there will be any pics Jane as I think OH will still be at the yard mucking out, friend who I was going with has a poorly horse and can't now go (hence the panic) and other friend who says she might come (ponyless) for moral support is going out for a birthday party the night before so not expecting she'll be in a fit state so early either!

I'm doing Intro A - I prefer it to B because there's less walking and walking is our worst pace - must be me because my previous loan horse was the same. We don't have medium walk, we have can't be bothered walk. Trotting is better, but circles are pants. Ha ha, just realised we won't have a track to follow for the circles, but we will make one, which will only confuse everyone coming in after us :giggle:

Thanks for the calming influence, wish you could all be there!

Have fun.

Try to practice riding towards a car and also not reacting to the judge sounding her car horn as many do to signal you to start.

I once took then very small daughter out on a new pony to do dressage only to discover pony thought car horn signalled start of a race and legged it!!!

Have fun.

Try to practice riding towards a car and also not reacting to the judge sounding her car horn as many do to signal you to start.

I once took then very small daughter out on a new pony to do dressage only to discover pony thought car horn signalled start of a race and legged it!!!

Oh EML! :giggle::giggle:

I'm told it's a bell - really hope it isn't a horn, don't think Raf will need an excuse to leg it if he feels like me!

Raf has actually been quite naughty on our hack today - bucking when we cantered, which isn't like him, and then being really sluggish when I went in the school to practice our test. Hope things go better tomorrow!

To be fair pony came from 'travelling people' and had pony raced with them. She was broken to saddle at 8, (two years before we got her) was very sharp and I expected daughter then 11 to cope.

Mean mummy...but they did go on to compete in PC dressage team!!

newrider.com