Stupid, Stupid mum

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Ginger is a delicate thing I know he needs the lowest sugar and starch, high fibre and oil balance diet with pink powder. He is never left without hay in his stable and has a field full of nice grass but still his ulcers have come back and it's my fault.

Last month I was given a bag of apples he has never eaten them before he just leaves them but I noticed that he ate one of Chanter. So for a week or so he had an apples in his tea then WHAM one day he was great at a comp on the Saturday then on the Tuesday in my lesson he was not a happy pony. When I put my leg on he flicked his ears back, when I asked for trot he stopped ears back and kicked out. I jumped off.

My RI and I checked for lameness but found nothing he was shod that day so I text the farrier. He came out the next morning and found nothing wrong at all he was sound. That night the same again, so I got off.

He was fine all over I could see nothing and he was find to handle so just gave him a couple of days off as though he might just not be 100% in himself.

Got on Friday he was worse when ever I put my leg on he was fine in walk and trot but when I asked for more his ears went back so I jumped off again. accessed that it was deffo belly related :(

Called the people I dealt with last year for his ulcers they confirmed that it sounded like the same thing again and yes the acid in the apples could of trigged it that and the fact I did not move them fields quick enough to one with more grass in.

So once again he is on a course of 28 days treatment. I got on today (day 4 of treatment) he was worse but fine on the lunge which is OK to do as long as he has eaten something 1/2 hour before hand. So at least I can keep him in work. I can ride but only in walk.

Every year just as we start to get somewhere and something happens with my lovely Ginger boy. I hate seeing him in any pain and which he could just tell me when it hurts. He is so honest most horses would have ditched their rider the minute the bum touches the saddle.

The hardest part is the drugs have to be feed in a handful of dried food on an empty tummy, but you should never leave a horse with ulcers without any hay.

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

Could you also maybe feed An ulcer supplement? I've heard there are a few that can be given as well as vet prescribed.

Such a shame that such a innocent treat can cause so much pain to him.

Hope he is better soon

I really feel for you both, such a small thing causing so much trouble, I always feed jess some Alfa as I saddle up to try and prevent ulcers ever starting after having a scare a few years ago, hopefully you caught it quick enough for it to settle quickly.

Oh what a shame, poor Ginger. Don't beat yourself up, ObC, you weren't to know, and you spotted the problem as soon as he told you about it.

He is a delicate hothouse plant though isn't he? Just as well for him he has such a caring and sensitive mum.

Could you not use something like the Egusin SLH that I have put Tobes on? As I understand it the drugs that vets prescribe actually prevent the acid to allow the ulcers to heal. But at some point the acid needs to come back to break down the feed naturally.

Tobes is not your TB type, but he is VERY stressy and anything kicks him off. I have used two of the buckets of the Egusin SLH at full strength and am now on the third at half strength for maintenance instead of using the Egusin 250.

He is infinitely less stressy, doesn't have an eppy fit about horses coming and going from fields surrounding him, and has put on a ton of weight (which is not so good as he has a tendon issue and isn't being exercised), but I have been very impressed.

Well it was not ulcers but a virus after all that. So he is on rest and nothing more.

I did think it was strange as he is a very unstressy horse. Chanter is a 100 0/0 worse then him.

any how he has had three weeks off will try again tomorrow

I agree that you shouldnt blame yourself. You are not stupid - We live our lives learning from things we may not have got quite right the first time. Think of those of us with kids - The first 48 hours when a child is ill you often dont know what it is at all. We none of us get everything right, and sometimes there isnt a right.

The hardest part is the drugs have to be feed in a handful of dried food on an empty tummy, but you should never leave a horse with ulcers without any hay.

This is a case in point. Even tho it turned out not to be ulcers, if you are given incompatible instructions by a medic or vet, you need to discuss that contradiction with the vets - what can be done to resolve the issue , what choices they think best and what most people find works with a horse like yours. Its not something you need to sort out on your own.

Hope he continues to improve and you can get back to your training and riding.

This is a case in point. Even tho it turned out not to be ulcers, if you are given incompatible instructions by a medic or vet, you need to discuss that contradiction with the vets - what can be done to resolve the issue , what choices they think best and what most people find works with a horse like yours. Its not something you need to sort out on your own.

Unfortunately Skib the drug OBC is using is most effective when given on an empty stomach & any vet will confirm that. Given the price of the drug you want to get maximum benefit! From personal experience I find that giving it first thing in the morning works well, yes he's still got hay left but by then he's normally not eating it because it's been there all night & he's ready to go out. It's not ideal, but it's our compromise.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I rode him tonight and he was 100% better than last Monday not quite 100% himself I used lots if voice then a little leg. We walked for ten minutes he only stopped once or twice and did move on off my leg.

He put his ears back twice but walked on with a little encouragement. We did some gentle trot and I got off.

I un tacked and let him have a canter round.

He looked happy having a little blast.

So back to work for him but nice and gentle. Very happy mummy

Reactions: carthorse
what can be done to resolve the issue , what choices they think best and what most people find works with a horse like yours. Its not something you need to sort out on your own.

Carthorse I didnt say the instructions were wrong? Just that OP wouldnt be the only one who had had to work out what to do - Your giving your experience of dealing with it is exactly what I meant.
The thread was headed Stupid Stupid Mum - not the way it should be seen imo. Then for posting what I think is constructive, others make out I am the stupid one. The horse is improved, thank goodness, the OP happy and I am put in my place.

Glad Ginger is feeling better, although having a virus is not ideal, it's easier to deal with than stomach ulcers by far. Hugs xx

newrider.com