Style, type and shape

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I know I've asked this before but today I was curious (er) than ever - due to riding in my Dublin Pinnacle boots. So, what type and style and shape boots do you all ride in? Not at competitions because that's different again and as I understand it you need different combinations like smart chaps and jodh boots etc. But for everyday riding?

I've got a pair of steel toe cap ladies dickies work boots. There lace up. Wear with a pair of chaps currently.
I've also got some Dublin country boots think there Dublin river boots but cant remember, but I've been very disappointed as I've I brought them a year ago and I have only use them for riding in. They live in the tack room so not use around the yard at all. Occasionally got the horses in from the field in them but generally just to ride in. Anyway they've gone saggy, so when I ride they drop down and I've ended up pinching my calves a few times.
I've got a gift voucher to use by December at the tack shop so I will buy another pair of country boots of some description to ride in over winter as they were definately warmer than wellies.

I used to have a pair of the Dublin river boots, they did flop!
I was pleasantly surprised today as with it being warm up here (shock horror) I couldn't face the firmer, rigidity of the MH tall ones. Anyway, very pleased as the Pinnacle boots did not rub, flop or get in the way. And my feet are like sausages lol with the heat! But I was curious because I know over the years on here there has been much debate about riding in "yard" or country style boots.
That's interesting @chunky monkey about the Dickies ones, I have a pair for if I'm expecting trouble fetching in during the winter - but I would most likely find them too wide for my stirrups.

I have Ariat Windemere yard boots which I do ride in if I'm too lazy to change into my Ariat riding boots (can't remember the model) - all my boots are online bargains, bought in flash sales or end of line, apart from the pair my OH bought me for Christmas but I haven't even worn them yet because I didn't want to get them muddy. My riding boots are far comfier to ride in though. In summer sometimes I wear jod boots and chaps but TBH I feel a bit odd without the ankle support now. If I'm riding in the bareback pad (ie no leathers) I wear anything I like!

Reactions: Trewsers
For summer basic jod boots and ariat gaiters as got cheap and I love them. Really soft.
Winter long boots that wipe clean as equileather.
Lunging/longreining walking boots.

Actually @Trewsers because there ladies I think they make them with a smaller toe cap. So they actually fit ok in my stirrups. I've had other steel toe caps work boots for men and they are definitely bigger.
I do remember the one time I came off, probably the only time chunky has ever bucked and I was knocked out cold, i was wearing a pair of rather worn out steels with big holes. So worn out in fact that my foot got caught in the stirrup as i came off and when i came round after a few seconds i found my boot had completely split and my foot was on top of the steel. As a result I brought wider stirrups as I know my foot got wedged when I came off, but I will also not ride in any boot that has a large toe box now for safety.

Actually @Trewsers because there ladies I think they make them with a smaller toe cap. So they actually fit ok in my stirrups. I've had other steel toe caps work boots for men and they are definitely bigger.
I do remember the one time I came off, probably the only time chunky has ever bucked and I was knocked out cold, i was wearing a pair of rather worn out steels with big holes. So worn out in fact that my foot got caught in the stirrup as i came off and when i came round after a few seconds i found my boot had completely split and my foot was on top of the steel. As a result I brought wider stirrups as I know my foot got wedged when I came off, but I will also not ride in any boot that has a large toe box now for safety.

EEek that sounded nasty getting your food wedged. I use OH's MH safety stirrups (have my own but too lazy to change them each time) which are wider than my own so I think okay with country style boots. I was worried a bit that they might feel to clunky but they were great.

I have Ariat Windemere yard boots which I do ride in if I'm too lazy to change into my Ariat riding boots (can't remember the model) - all my boots are online bargains, bought in flash sales or end of line, apart from the pair my OH bought me for Christmas but I haven't even worn them yet because I didn't want to get them muddy. My riding boots are far comfier to ride in though. In summer sometimes I wear jod boots and chaps but TBH I feel a bit odd without the ankle support now. If I'm riding in the bareback pad (ie no leathers) I wear anything I like!

Hahahaha you're like me, I still have a brand new pair in the bedroom that I haven't worn yet. Look at them every night just before I switch the light off (bit sad I know) one day.....................

• Haha
Reactions: Bodshi
Hahahaha you're like me, I still have a brand new pair in the bedroom that I haven't worn yet. Look at them every night just before I switch the light off (bit sad I know) one day.....................
Put them on in the house. You know you want to.
Then gradually show them the yard. Ha ha.
I was similar with my new ariat wellies, they still get a wipe over. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com