Successfully moved!! Question about hay...!

Billy

Jan 26, 2006
High Wycombe
Bit of a delayed post, but been so busy this week not had time to come onto the forum.

Moved Dobbo to new yard at the weekend, so far, so good!! Lovely little yard, nice people, and finally I actually look forward to going up!!

One question, it's the first time I'm on a yard that has big round bales of hay that we all use. They've asked us to put how many nets we use each day in the diary, and they will work out a flat rate for everyone for hay.

What sort of price a month would it average out to? If you use big bales, how much are you paying per horse? The bales are £35/£40. They've only just started themselves, so are not sure how long these things last.

YAY WE'VE MOVED AND SHE IS VERY HAPPY AND SETTLED!! I AM SO EXCITED!

I was using 450kg bales during the winter when we had snow, some days
24lb of hay were used, some day 15lb and a bale lasted me roughly 6 weeks.

Depending on how much of a good doer the horse is I would expect it to last longer than 6 weeks if the horse is out during daylight hours and a decent dooer.

I would offer to pay £25 a month worked out you would use roughly 8 bales a year that the above usage. £35 x 8 / 12 = £23. odd.

I would mention its not how many nets someone uses but the weight of the hay in the net. Its always something that puzzles me and ive heard before " she uses 3 nets a night on that horse" but if they only have 5lb that not that much compared to a large net which I can fit nearly 18lb in but only use one.

newrider.com