Sudden dishing action ??

BIrish

Nov 13, 2007
Both Rips and I have had a stressy weekend with Farrier issues (thread in Shod Foot forum) .. culminating yesterday in Farrier returning yesterday and replacing Stan's back shoes with one that fit. :rolleyes:(I'll put pics up later)

I trotted him up last night as he seemed to have a hot, slightly swollen near fore (think because I had to leave boots on him all weekend in boiling hot weather because of pants shoes) and although he's not lame he's dishing with that leg.. :confused: His near hind was also a little hot/up but that's from some speedicuts due to the shoes :mad:- he shredded his boots and still managed a couple of nics over his fetlocks .. but again - not lame.

He doesn't dish. Part of the reason I bought him was he had such straight movement. It was textbook.

He was turned out last night to walk off the swelling - this morning the near fore is cold and normal (no swelling), the hind is better, warm and a little up but not anything drastic.

He's still dishing. Am really upset about this. There is flare there and the farrier has made a massive mess of this - Would I be right in thinking the shoe/foot balance is the cause ? Anyone else had a problem like this?

Can't have anymore trimmed for a few weeks as feet will have to grow first.
:( ..

That would be my guess too given the circumstances. However if memory serves is this your horse's first set of shoes? I've found going in the opposite direction that shoes can apparently make it worse purely because of the additional weight on the end of the limb.

That would be my guess too given the circumstances. However if memory serves is this your horse's first set of shoes? I've found going in the opposite direction that shoes can apparently make it worse purely because of the additional weight on the end of the limb.

No - It was Odie (Rips' horse) first set. This is Stans 3rd set with this farrier. BUT – he has had re-fits twice with the shoes being from my original and good Farrier I had previously (before I moved) .. This is the first set he has had on from this particular Farrier (and the last) So he's used to shoes - but thanks for the reply - I’m glad I’m on the right track with the shoeing being the reason for the sudden weird dishing !

It would appear that while this Farrier was refitting the well made & fitting shoes (Stan was hot-shod previously) all was well but I insisted on a new set this time as the re-fitted set were worn too much and I felt that the shape of the old shoes was not helping him (he had flare from neglected feet from when I bought him and feet have (had!) improved) and he needed new set as they were worn and I wanted the foot shape & balance corrected again.. Flare was never going to improve if he kept using the same shape shoe that was for a flared "incorrect" foot!

Turns out Farrier doesn’t seem to be able to actually shoe/trim feet correctly from scratch – just does a reasonable job with someone else’s work!! I was annoyed last time he was out as I had asked for a new set and he did refits again.. Now I know why. :mad:

I've found going in the opposite direction

As in barefoot ? I can't and won't go barefoot.

Can't as I think I'd be in a worse state tbh :) .. If the man can’t trim foot to shoe then I have no chance finding someone to trim in a barefoot way! My Shetland is barefoot and because he’s a Shettie he is hardy thank god but the foot balance is all over the shop! I am waaaay unhappy with them.

Won't because I intend to hack a goodly amount and a lot of our hacking is lanes etc – which are tarmac/gravel and farm tracks which can be stoney. Also no shoes = no road pins or stud holes. Much as I know some horses jump in all conditions barefoot – the slippery conditions I have seen this summer have called for studs – you’d be mad not to and I fully intend studs for any kind of jumping on grass / XC action that Stanners and I might see.. – even the roads are lethal this year – no way I’d venture out without pins or road studs.

Last edited:
I was going to ask what he was like when the farrier had him run up but reading the other post it seems unlikely he even did this .

It sounds like poor trimming/shoeing. Have you got access to a good farrier? If so I would have him redone as soon as possible

I was going to ask what he was like when the farrier had him run up but reading the other post it seems unlikely he even did this .

Didn't even get him out of his stable by the looks of things.. :mad: let alone run him up... I'm raging.

It sounds like poor trimming/shoeing. Have you got access to a good farrier? If so I would have him redone as soon as possible

Not really but I am trying.. The only way I can get him to a decent farrier is to box him up and drive 2 counties away to where I used to live (and if that's what I have to do then that's what'll happen) and think he's on hols as no answer from his Mob :( ... Decent farriers are like hens teeth here.. :rolleyes::mad: Have got a tip about a new young farrier in the area that am going to call up and discuss state of feet with asap I get his number..

Seriously considering flying my beloved and brilliant GodOfShoeing over from Essex..

Last edited:
I have to agree with EML....it sounds like the trim and shoes havent been done corret to his feet which has made him unbalanced coursing him to dish.
I would fine a good farrier that can sort his feet out a.s.a.p. Otherwise it could damage his legs and feet even more

I would fine a good farrier that can sort his feet out a.s.a.p. Otherwise it could damage his legs and feet even more

Thats whats making me sweat! And he has such perfect movement.. I do not want damage or movement altered. Prob is not a whole lot of feet to play with re trimming.. but decent farrier would still have chance to fix balance/shoe shape.

As in barefoot ? I can't and won't go barefoot.

Please don't think I was suggesting or pushing it, because I wasn't, I was merely sharing my experience of one possible cause;)

Thats whats making me sweat! And he has such perfect movement.. I do not want damage or movement altered. Prob is not a whole lot of feet to play with re trimming.. but decent farrier would still have chance to fix balance/shoe shape.

Any good farrier should be able to remove the shoe, file any bit of the horn into shap and re set the shoe for you making it more balanced which should re balance the feet for you.
Lady never needs a trim she just gets hers filed and shoes shape to keep her feet balanced, she has hers done every 6/8 weeks her feet dont grow all that fast.

I would definatly think farrier is to blame:mad:
i lost all faith in farriers a few years back i was unhappy with the way my boy was being shod his feet really werent balanced but was sound changed to a decent farrier who i still use and wouldnt change for the world and he went lame after a few months due to the change in balance as he had been so used to them being rubbish! it turned out he had changes in his hocks and i to this day think it was all down to bad farriery!

Find a good one asap. he sounds like a cow boy who has no interest in the mechanics so to speak. good luck finding one:)

Any good farrier should be able to remove the shoe, file any bit of the horn into shap and re set the shoe for you making it more balanced which should re balance the feet for you.

Not if the imbalance is caused by one particular area being taken too short, you have no option but to wait for some foot to grow back. My guess would be that one shoeing cycle or less is unlikely to do any permanent damage, plenty of horses recover from horrendous feet with few if any long term issues.

Please don't think I was suggesting or pushing it, because I wasn't, I was merely sharing my experience of one possible cause;)

No no - sorry.. I didn't mean it like that :eek::) .. I was just typing reasons why I can't & won't be doing the barefoot thing.. Sorry.. no offence meant and I certainly didn't think you were pushing it a la some Barefoot Evangelists..

Not if the imbalance is caused by one particular area being taken too short, you have no option but to wait for some foot to grow back. My guess would be that one shoeing cycle or less is unlikely to do any permanent damage, plenty of horses recover from horrendous feet with few if any long term issues.

I was going to type that! There isn't too much foot there to re-jig :( tbh.. hence my worry..

My guess would be that one shoeing cycle or less is unlikely to do any permanent damage, plenty of horses recover from horrendous feet with few if any long term issues

This was my next question - would leaving him a couple of weeks to grow some foot with this dish cause him problems ? Obviously not great for him (be better if I could sort out asap) but assuming not enough foot to correct immediately..

Could you just take his shoes off for time being, until you get hold of a decent farrier? I hate when stuff like this happens.

how soon can you get another farrier out?

ii'd be inclined to get another one out but not say anything about teh previosu farrier or your concerns with him dishing and see what his own conclusions are.

is trotting up before/after the "done thing" in most areas then? none of teh farriers ive ever seen do this apart from a new one that moved to teh area recently.

No no - sorry.. I didn't mean it like that .. I was just typing reasons why I can't & won't be doing the barefoot thing..

No problem :) It would be madness to even contemplate it if the only professional you had access to was a rubbish farrier anyway :D

newrider.com