Suddenly stroppy mare

floppy

Feb 25, 2001
germany
My mare is 23. she's just had pretty much a 6 month break from riding, due to short days, lack of time and poo weather. I have owned her since she was 6yrs old and i am experiencing something I have never experience with her before .

She's gone loopy. She bucks, and runs away on the lunge and even pretends to rear.

Once she's had her moment she's then obedient. Or at least tries To be.

Could it be a hormone unbalance? The weather has been weird lately und bounces between one minute snow , rain cold and the next day
16 degrees.

She has had numerous breaks in her riding carrier where I have had to start her up again after foals. And she has never been a bucking bronco.

Im thinking hormones here, as she played up a couple off times and so i let her loose it on the lunge and then rode her in walk and she was then fine, that I even spontauesly went out fir a mini hack.

Any suggestions? Experiences? Supplements?

The weather has been all over the place and winter felt long and a lot of horses seem to be getting spring in their toes this year, even ones who don't normally :) my mare is always marish and hormonal but is unusually nutty to ride at the moment, she bounced, lept and plunged for 7 or the 9 miles we did on Thursday evening, 2 years ago at this time I was teaching my friends 7yo daughter to ride on her inc. hacking out, she's never normally like this :rolleyes:

Today she was as Sweet as pie my sharer wasn't impressed and couldn't understand how she was all wacky yesterday and today I worked her and then rode her briefly without a saddle....
20 Celsius . She's lazy when it's warm...
But I think the crazy weather really is a main part of the problem and I'm glad I'm not the only one

Reactions: Jessey
I think the weather is sometimes very under estimated in it's effects on our neds. The one and only time madam bucked me off was about ten years ago on a cold, foggy november afternoon (see how firmly implanted it is on my brain!lol) and she'd been in overnight. Well, I should have seen it coming but didn't! Plop there I ended up on the floor. OH said she was cold - and what did I expect?! I suspect he was right because it never happened again, mainly because I didn't ride her in rubbish weather much.

newrider.com