suggestions for saddle cob peeps help please!!!

wibble

Feb 8, 2006
Herts/Essex border
I have just started loaning a 15.2 cob. She came with no tack (just a snaffle bit even though they rode her in a waterford) My bridle fits her perfectly and I have borrowed a bit for the moment until they find hers as she can be quite strong.

The owners only have 16.5 inch saddles as their horses are ridden by a teenage girl so they could not provide a saddle. My saddle is a wide Wintec close contact jumping saddle. It seems to fit her width wise but the forward cut due to the jumping cut seem to get in the way of her shoulders. I don't have much money to spend. My Wintec is only 3 months old and I would like to part exchange it. Can anyone recommend what sort of saddle I should be looking for. I would ideally like a leather saddle (will have to be 2nd hand) that I can school, jump, show and hack in. Is there a certain shape I should look for?

My Wintec is an 18 inch as I had a flat backed warmblood but Liv is quite shortbackede but I have quite a large bottom so want it to fit her and me. I have the saddler out this weekend but she doesn't have many 2nd hand and Liv is on a strict diet so will change shape over the next couple of months.

Any suggestions and or advice appreciated as this is my first cob, I have always had 17.2 ID's/Warmbloods in the past

If it's only a loan you don't want to spend too much money on it. A 2nd hand, very wide leather one is hard to find but I'd expect to spend £400-£500on a decent one.

Other option would be a Wintec WIDE (not the same as a 500 or 2000 version - they've got totally different gullets) or a thorowgood cob saddle. Both are good for wide horses but you'd need to get them fitted as they suit different shapes.

I'd suggest getting a saddler out to try both the wintec wide and the thorowgood cob saddle then have a look on the internet or ebay - you'll get either for under £200 probably, but will pay nearer £400 in the shop.

You could sell your CC on ebay for maybe £200, depending on condition and make (2000 more expensive than 500 version)

Other option, if you do want a leather saddle would be a Saddle company saddle which can be altered (by the saddler) as she changes shape. They're about £500.

Last edited by a moderator:
second vote for the thorowgood cob. I have the thorowgood cob dressage saddle and it's a fab fit on my 15.2hh cob. And it's so incredibly light!

If it's leather you are after, have a look at the Ideal Highland and Cob saddle. My welsh cob had one. They are straighter cut so as not to impede shoulder action (but still great for jumping in).

But as PL said, try to get a saddler out to make sure you get the best fit. good luck!

My chunky cob has a Wintec Wide specially made for the chunky horses- as it is adjustable it is good for her all year round.
Another option is a treeless saddle- they fit pretty well on the chunky ones and good thing is that you can use them on any horse and they mould to the shape of them so you could use it again and again- they are a bit more pricey though than a synthetic saddle!!!!

Wintec wide was an awful fit on my cob, so went for a thorowgood griffin cob selecta instead x wide when I 1st got him.

I now ride a treeless saddle Barefoot Cheyenne :D was the best move i've ever made.

I'm considering getting a barefoot cheyenne at the moment to use on my share cob and then on my own horse when I get one soon hopefully!!! Have had loads of treeless recommendations and cheyenne is probably the one that best suits my budget while being very well made

I adore mine, Ben moves much more freely the change in him is fab :)
IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had the saddler out today and I was completely correct in my thoughts that my saddle doesn't fit! As Liv will hopefully change shape as she gets thinner the saddler has recommended getting another synthetic until her shape is more stable. She is coming back with a wintec wide and a thorowgood cob saddle (she must have been listening pinks lady) although this means we won't be able to show as it's synthetic in reality shes too overweight at the moment anyway.

I am going to do some research on prices so I can barter the best price for mine and for the replacement.

If anyones looking for an 18inch close contact Wintec jumping saddle let me know!!!;)

There is absoultly no reason at all that you can't show with a synthetic - the new versions are just lovely and it really won't matter until you get to higher level. The wintecs you can't tell aren't leather until you're up close. If you got to a local show you'll see that probably half the riders have a synthetic saddle.

Have a look on ebay before you buy. The average Wintec Wide goes for about £200 and a griffin cob saddle about £150. Most are brand new/once a few times. It would be worth just getting one fitted some you know what size and buy else where. The saddler will be a bit miffed but tough;)

Pink's lady, we did that, got one fitted and bought elsewhere. Saddler didn't mind though as she was running out of saddles anyway and quite liked keeping one to take fitting.

My cob has a synthetic and we show (a little) and haven't been marked down yet. He has a thorowgood cob because that was a good fit. Did try the wintec wide, but the smallest seat size they make is 17" and we needed a 16.5" saddle for Tarquins back

I've got a wintec wide and thorowgood cob. Wintec wide is really nice for a synthetic and I have used it for showing, didn't do very well but that was down to badly behaved coblet not the saddle :eek: :D Wintec wide is much nicer IMO but they are slightly different shapes so depends on which fits the horse. I've just bought a wintec wide from ebay for about £200 and Thorowgood cob saddles are pretty cheap on there, usually very cheap if you don't mind having an older one without Fish.

newrider.com