Suggestions on mane management!

When I have our saddle bag on I only plait by the saddle. Taken September.
PicsArt_02-22-08.07.26.jpg
I use laced leather reins and I don't get anything tangling up.
Are you riding with your hands close together? I try to keep mine the width of her front and therefore cms away from the mane.
Don't comb before you ride it makes it all light and fly away. If I do touch it, I spend time with the mane comb. I don't put any sprays or potions on at all.
Mine is slightly shorter than yours as I trimmed a bit off for winter-we are clay soil.

@newforest that running plait looks like it's been done sitting on the horse it's so even. My running plait looks nothing like that. I must be missing something. Would love mine to look like that when I take him on funrides.
@Huggy liking that attempt. I might have to try the bottom bit only plait. I tend to plait the whole length. I like what you've done.

Reactions: Huggy
@Huggy you've put me to shame, tonight I demudded Little Un's mane & then combed it all through - he now looks like a pony rather than a bog monster! Next stop his tail . . .

Reactions: Huggy
@newforest that running plait looks like it's been done sitting on the horse it's so even. My running plait looks nothing like that. I must be missing something. Would love mine to look like that when I take him on funrides.
@Huggy liking that attempt. I might have to try the bottom bit only plait. I tend to plait the whole length. I like what you've done.
That was my first attempt after my RI taught me one winter.
I had a lesson booked and it absolutely hammered with rain. So I paid her to teach me to plait.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Next modelling session will be the running plait - o_O.

When I have our saddle bag on I only plait by the saddle. Taken September.
View attachment 97142
I use laced leather reins and I don't get anything tangling up.
Are you riding with your hands close together? I try to keep mine the width of her front and therefore cms away from the mane.
Don't comb before you ride it makes it all light and fly away. If I do touch it, I spend time with the mane comb. I don't put any sprays or potions on at all.
Mine is slightly shorter than yours as I trimmed a bit off for winter-we are clay soil.
Yes that's another problem - the lowest part of his mane keeps working it's way under the saddle. Am also transfixed by those immaculate feathers - slinking away shamefaced now.....

I've changed my reins, and with a lot of willpower, have left alone as much as I can bear to! I should plait or something, but I love it flowing naturally so much!

I've changed my reins, and with a lot of willpower, have left alone as much as I can bear to! I should plait or something, but I love it flowing naturally so much!
I leave as much as possible. You could tease your hands through.
It doesn't hit me in the face so much as it used to.
But I always plait the saddle section else it sneaks underneath and can't be comfortable for her.

Are you black feathers all round or white?

I leave as much as possible. You could tease your hands through.
It doesn't hit me in the face so much as it used to.
But I always plait the saddle section else it sneaks underneath and can't be comfortable for her.

Are you black feathers all round or white?
Front both black, rear both white, one more so. (Well - at the moment a kind of dirty cream!) Yes, I must plait near saddle , I keep pulling it clear while riding!

Front both black, rear both white, one more so. (Well - at the moment a kind of dirty cream!) Yes, I must plait near saddle , I keep pulling it clear while riding!
Do you find the white feathers puff up a lot nicer than the black?
I have one front white and one black and the white always grows nicer. Just curious question. And yes more cream right now. :)

Do you find the white feathers puff up a lot nicer than the black?
I have one front white and one black and the white always grows nicer. Just curious question. And yes more cream right now. :)
Funnily enough I find the opposite! The black ones fluff up beautifully. To be fair, neither hind is all white - mainly just the front. They're all INCREDIBLY thick tho - I'll try and get a close up pic. (After I've brushed them!)

Reactions: newforest
That's lovely @newforest , but also precisely why if I had a horse with feathers they would be constantly clipped off! I'm far too lazy to be dealing with keeping them like that & they'd drive me mad if I didn't keep them nice.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I think feathers are a love hate relationship. You have to love them in order to want to look after them, most people I see like looking at them, but would reach for the clippers.
She's a hormonal mare so the backs take more time shall we say.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
@Huggy Little Un now has a beautifully conditioned & combed mane & tail, and after how long it took me to work through his tail I'm going to be back to doing it most nights!
Oh no! I haven't flippin touched ANY of Hogan all week. He's a total scruff. Now I'm hearing and seeing all these fluffy feathers and conditioned manes and tails. Well I hope you're all happy now - I won't sleep a wink tonight lol! Sigh - out with the conditioner , brushes , combs - the lot.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com