Super itchy horse

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
Can anyone recommend a supplement I can try? I’m hesitant to use linseed as he is so fat already and I’m struggling to get his weight down! I think it’s flies but he’s a pretty itchy horse all year round in reality just intensely so now. Feel so bad for him!

Not a supplement, but I used Barrier spearmint no rinse shampoo on Ramsey. He used to make himself bleed, all over, and it definitely soothed his skin. I just sponged him down every other day. Also if yours itches and gets little raw patches, which Ramsey did, germoline heal and seal kept the flies off, and kept the wound clean - nearest thing to a plaster for horses you'll get!

Reactions: Toz
Not a supplement, but I used Barrier spearmint no rinse shampoo on Ramsey. He used to make himself bleed, all over, and it definitely soothed his skin. I just sponged him down every other day. Also if yours itches and gets little raw patches, which Ramsey did, germoline heal and seal kept the flies off, and kept the wound clean - nearest thing to a plaster for horses you'll get!
Fab thanks, I’ll get some and give it a go. Pretty sure I already have some seal and heal but hadn’t thought to use it!

I feed Jess a little linseed, she's a fatty but a couple of tablespoons doesn't seem to effect her diet :) she gets it as she's not on grass so needs the amino's and protein.

I feed Jess a little linseed, she's a fatty but a couple of tablespoons doesn't seem to effect her diet :) she gets it as she's not on grass so needs the amino's and protein.
Ah ok. I thought I’d have to feed a larger quantity to see a difference in his skin. Maybe I’ll get a bag and give it a go.

Hope they help - it's misery to watch them so uncomfortable.
So horrible. He’s also getting antsy to ride. Flies, even last summer didn’t bother him too much ridden. I felt a tiny bit unsafe yesterday

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
So horrible. He’s also getting antsy to ride. Flies, even last summer didn’t bother him too much ridden. I felt a tiny bit unsafe yesterday
I killed 11 crab flies and 3 horse flies on Hogan while out today. Spent more time killing critters than enjoying my ride !:mad:

Weirdly I haven’t seen any horse flies this year! One or two (literally) early on in the season but nothing since.
I expect I’ll regret saying that tomorrow!

Aloe vera is great for dry / itchy / irritated skin. It always made a big difference to Mouse's sweet-itch. A good scrub with an aloe vera and tee- tree shampoo twice a week, and massaging pure aloe vera gel into the badly-affected areas of skin as often as possible.

newrider.com