Suspensory ligament injury and low grade lami

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Last weekend I took Jess in for a check over as she wasn't quite right, my vet found a suspensory body injury, so we decided on a month's rest, bute, topical steroids, me checking her weekly and then the vet to reassess after the month.

Yesterday I had a barefoot trimmer out to give me some more training and part of her assessment was a trot up, Jess was much better, possibly even sound on the straight on tarmac :) and was very floaty trotted up the field :) and on palpation of the ligament it seems the swelling has gone. She has been on bute 2x a day for 5 days, then 1 a day since, I plan to talk to my vet later to see if she wants it continued and also to lunge on tarmac at some point as that showed the lameness best last weekend but I don't want to rush that and set her back.

Fingers crossed the rapid early improvement means we caught it early and with extended rest and lots of walking rehab it will come right, a few NR vibes never go a miss though.

Jess is getting a bit pissy at being stuck in a tiny paddock, hopefully the vet okays some controlled walking sooner than later :)

I will send you some healing vibes. Like you say best not rushed. But it's so difficult if there used to being in work.

Reactions: Jessey
How is stormy doing now @Trewsers? Hopefully you've got her leg settled again?

She's doing grand thanks. We manage her leg now as an ongoing condition and accept a different (if a bit strange) way of life. She's happy as Larry which is all that matters and I've got my head around what she can do and can't now.:)

Reactions: Jessey
I could throttle Hank! :mad:
Arrived at the yard and started filling the water, Jess stood in the corner whickering at me to hurry up with tea, then Hank comes over and starts nipping her over the fence, eventually she retaliates launching at him open mouthed and landed a good bite :( at which point I thought I'd leave the water and get her some hay to get her away from the fence. By the time I'd grabbed some I walk out to find Hank in with Jess and her broncing around her paddock. Raced down gave her the hay and quickly tried to get Hank, who then decided it was a good game and starts tearing around setting her off charging about, some impressive QH power take offs and sliding stops :eek: :( finally got hold of him and poked him back in his paddock and settled her with a fresh strip of grass. Leg seemed none the worse for wear but gave her bute again in her tea just in case. Bloody animals, remind me why we have them again?

She seems fine this morning, though I haven't trotted her up, but there isn't any obvious swelling or gimping pottering around her paddock :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Trot up day today, she looked pretty OK in the field on the straight and a small circle and good on the straight on the road but on a circle (very quiet cul-de-sac) she's still lame :( less so, but still lame. So back on the bute twice a day for another week I think (will chat to our vet tomorrow) and see how she looks next week.

newrider.com