Suspensory ligament injury and low grade lami

Well she's coming out with the scanner and xray on Tuesday afternoon, because we are a bit perplexed. Lunged on a 5m circle at trot in the field tonight and she didn't look lame to me (though it's hard to see on your own sometimes), but she is now reactive to pressure at the top of the splint.

Today is the day for the vet, Jess has been having a bute a day to keep the swelling manageable so hopefully it won't inhibit scanning. I totally have it stuck in my head it's going to be not the best news and will either need hospital treatment or box rest, hopefully that is just in my head because I know I am going away on Friday so know it would be a nightmare to sort out. T minus 3 hours.

Well pretty good, a small anomaly on the splint bone surface probably from a bone bruise but no fractures or anything and no sign of anything in the joints at all. Basically do nothing and it should resolve in 6 weeks or so. Had feet xrayed while we were at it and balance etc all looks good but has possibly 1 degree of rotation but feels that isn't active lami so just to work on getting that fixed with trimming. The vet is going to get them up on the imager/measuring software back at base but all in all positive :)

Last edited:
Well she's still not lame from the leg, but it is still swelling without bute, but 1/2 a bute a day is enough to keep it at bay, tho her knee does seem to have a more solid lump in the exact same spot as the other knee did last year (which never made her lame and has now gone). She has also managed to scrape the other foreleg :oops: and its got a bit of a lump. Her feet are still slightly sore, fine other than on a very tight circle on the hard if she doesn't wear boots for half the day.
I'm going to put the Hoof Armor on her feet as soon as it's dry enough outside and get back to riding her and see how she goes, we're back at square 1 with walking to build her up so I think it should be fine.

newrider.com