Suzie has had a foal

Bud has been in and out of trailers all his life, but he is certainly worried about his head, he tends to brace and go back, head high, so we are working on walk onto ramp, back off slowly, as the couple of times we have taken him for a ride, he came off it at 30mph which is dangerous and he could hurt himself.

So Antoine worked with us on Wednesday, just walk on, off, praise, and we've been doing that every day, I have bought him a poll guard which should arrive soon, so if he does hit his head he has protection, but trying to get him more relaxed about it all and less worried. He is at least walking off step at a time, slowly, his going on is still hesitant and unsure.

It's ironic that the most travelled is the most afraid and the novice who has now been in 4 times is walking in quite happily, no hesitation!

Not very good videos but I was filming as well as doing so excuse the lack of editing etc.
Leo loading, Suze working on yard, Suze and Fleurette loading
They were scared of the camera and working one handed is not easy, plus I was sort of saying come into trailer but the camera was saying go away so mixed messages.

[][/URL]

Last edited:
Actually they usually work about 50% better than that but one handed I did my best! We will try to set up a proper camera to get them really at their best.

Hold the camera the other way around, or you can use a video editing software to alter it round etc. :smile: There ate free ones out there to.

the actual upload from the camera on KIES is fine, it is the right way up, all the other videos are correct, this one, for some reason, when you upload it it goes the wrong way - the original footage is fine!

I am so not into this, I am really just a happy snapper.

We really need the camera mounted on one of the uprights or get someone else to do it, as you can't really work them one handed as you need a second hand just to correct or change direction.

Having your hand focused on a camera and not the horse will affect the footage and the horse. Your focus is split. I put mine balanced on something or its hands free.

It is two years and 1 day since Suze arrived.

Tonight, for the first time, I managed to pick out both hind feet. I have managed to lift them but never hold them and pick them out - but tonight both done.

I guess some things just take time!

That is actually a hugely important break through IMO. If she is giving you her feet she is trusting you 100 per cent.:wink:

I have been able to do the fronts for a few months, and she lifts the hinds, but tonight I was actually able to hold it, clean it out and put it down - the farrier has managed to do her several times now, but he holds on better than I do.

But she didn't struggle, didn't pull, it was fine. She really is coming on.

This little girl keeps surprising me.

We have been working on desensitisation with ropes and then using the rope around her bum or her legs, to move her. So she has to distinguish between intent/energy - today she moved one foot at a time and halted immediately the pressure and energy dropped, and stood perfectly with ropes flapping over her back, around her bum, around her legs.

For a kicker, she is pretty good.

She did her little tricks in front of two complete strangers last night, never gave them a look, then accepted carrots from them, must teach her how to bow.

about six weeks ago she changed, she didn't react when her trainer came - used to always be a bit spooky with him, watching him, worried, not concentrating, but she just stopped doing it and ignored him - this seems now to be happening with new people, she didn't react when she met the saddler for the first time, before she would have been at back of stable, eyes showing whites, snorting, tense, didn't do anything

this week had never seen these people before, just came out of stable, showed off her skills, ate a carrot and went back in, stood with head over door watching everyone.

much more confident in herself and relaxed - taken two years, but she is really now not a special needs horse, just an inexperienced horse with limited training who is getting there.

newrider.com