Sweat/wicking rugs?

I have just bought a Rambo cooler. I will use it to dry her off if we have worked in the rain before rugging her up.
I would take if travelling in case she was chilly.

We just use polar fleeces as sweat rugs - no need for special "wicking" rugs, fleeces do the same job for less money. They dry the horse very quickly, as the moisture just goes straight through. We use them after riding when a horse has sweated up but it's not warm enough to hose them off, or if we've been exercising them in the rain and they need to dry off before their stable rug goes back on. We also use them as travel rugs at the colder ends of the competition season.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I've got a fleece. Think he's worn it twice. Once to try it on, the other was on an exceptionally rainy day when the Backman was coming to give him a massage. It dried him off really quickly. I keep it for emergencies as Flipo came with a rain sheet, and I figured instead of buying an expensive rug to sit in a cupboard, I'd get something that I could put on for extra warmth if he ever gets ill.
I guess I could use it after he's done some work to help get rid of the sweat, but since he's out all the time, I'd feel weird about putting it on for an hour and then whipping it off leaving him naked. Instead I use tepid water (I boil the kettle and take a flask to the field and by the time I've finished, it's just luke warm) to rub his sweaty bits down and then I give them a good rub with a towel.

I have a waffle sweat rug which I use after riding when it's cold and Raf is sweating to dry him off quickly. Also keep both a lightweight and a thick fleece cooler on the waggon for when we've done a big ride. I love the thick one - it's for really cold weather when he's sweating a lot and it really wicks the moisture away. It's got a hood too but I've only used the rug a couple of times and the hood never because it's rarely cold enough. I wouldn't travel him in it in case he got too warm, I'd put a normal fleece on for the journey.

Raf is clipped and feels the cold btw.

I've got a Weatherbeeta fleece & a Thermatex. Pete is hardy, but he hasn't fully overcome his dislike of clipping yet, so I can't clip him & he can get a bit sweaty after being ridden - I leave him overnight in either (depending on how cold it is) and he is always just how hd should be the next morning.

I bought the Thermatex in the sale at Olympia last year & it's been brilliant .

Reactions: squidsin
I used to have those old sweat rugs with holes in, never used those very much either, I have a couple of fleeces (one with a neck one without) which if I got jess all sweaty I would use before rugging back up to put her back out but TBH I just make sure I cool her out thoroughly under saddle or don't do too much with her late in the evening when it's likely to be an issue, once in a while we've needed it. I used to use it more when I was competing as after the first long day I would put it on to keep muscles ready for the 2nd day even when it was warm out.

I have a thermatex, fleece and a wick away combo. I have a lesson at 7 in the evening once a week and like last night he was a sweaty mess when we finished, he is still not clipped as waiting as long as I can. catch 22 really. It is to warm to have him in a medium weight rug even when clipped but the 100g does not have a nexk if is rains (hunter clipped when done) So last night I used the fleece as it was on the top. until he was OK to rug up and turn back out.

I will clip tonight before my jumping lesson tomorrow and pop to the shop to se if they have any 100g with necks for the boys

I have a couple of fleeces. I find they work just as well. I pop it on after ive worked him, while im pottering about before I feed.

I have a fleece. I put it under Mattie's rugs if it is really cold, and I pop it on Ziggy to dry him off before a treatment or a ride.

I have a check waffle one too, which looks the business but does not dry Ziggy's Polar Pony fur as quickly as the fleece.

I've always used a fleece as a cooler. My favourites are a lovely black Shires one and a purple Saxon one. They do a good job because whenever she has been sweaty and I've put one on her you can see the beads of perspiration after a while on top of the fleece - and then she's generally a lot drier underneath.

Just sold my Saxon one, didn't fit round the front and the rest looked like a body wrap. :D That was 6ft as well.
Hoping the rambo is more generous with it neck.

Same as FM sponge off with a bit of warm water and then towel her off, I do have one somewhere I think but never had need of it, we don't do the work you do though and certainly don't do a lot of sweating! Well Belle doesn't I somehow seem to though.

I have one that's like a modern version of the string vest rugs you used to get. Can't remember what make it is but I use if after I have bathed in the summer. It's probably too small for Pedro now though as it's B's rug so must be a 5ft 3 and I don't bath B any more as he's retired and always hated getting a bath!

I have a gizzilion fleece coolers though! I use them as layers under rugs, if he's sweaty after a ride, as a travel rug, stable rug in milder weather. I love fleeces :) just bought a new one for P, it's a lovely navy blue and sky blue one :)

Another vote for fleeces. I had a beautiful 'string vest' for him which shrank so much when I washed it that I used it on the 13.1hh pony (instead of my 17hh+ boy!). At least the pony was happy :rolleyes:

I did have a thermatex but its way too heavy for current one. Got outgrown as well so sold.
Fleece fits OK, albeit snug around the front. :)

Rambo is Amigo isn't it?

I've got a Rambo Grand Prix cooler (thankfully got it in a sale!) for Magic to use after he's been sloshed down at the end of an endurance ride. I much prefer good old thatching but it's not exactly practical when you're out and about.

newrider.com