Sweating when standing in

katieB

Aug 14, 2003
Cheshire
Visit site
Is it normal for a horse to sweat slightly when he is stood in the stable? I brought Tarragon in yesterday and left him to eat a haynet in his stable while I potted about. I came to groom him about 45 mins later and noticed he was slightly damp behind his ears and in between his legs. He was stood quite calmly, was tucking away on his haynet and he had passed droppings. He does have a very thick coat at the moment (he is a highland) and it was a fairly mild day but can a horse really sweat up whilst stood still?

Mine don't, but I think it's entirely possible if your horse is a woolly bear and it's mild out :)

The horse I ride in a HW cob with a very thick coat. In the summer I came to ride him and he was dripping with sweat from just standing in the stable. We gave him a full clip (in the middle of summer) because he was just so hot. Some horses do grow very thick coats, and if it was a mild day I think that it was quite possibly the reason for the sweats. If he was eating and drinking fine and isn't showing any other signs of illness, I wouldn't worry too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if its just cos he's got a nice thick winter coat, our pair came in from the field (and as far as I know they'd not been hoolying) and they were both warm and sweaty feeling the other week. (They're not clipped, and are both turning into fur monsters!)

Ruby can get sweated up if her stablemate goes out without her. I don't rug in the stable because of this. She'd also sweated up once when she'd ate all her hay hence why I always put two haynets in now just incase.

newrider.com