Sweet dreams, Peri

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Our elderly Welsh Springer Spaniel Peri was put to sleep today. Yesterday she was bouncy on her morning walk, but by the afternoon she was tottering and staggering and didn't want to eat. Anything. Not dog biscuit custard (with egg and milk) which has been her staple diet for a few months. Not even chicken or roast lamb. Today she slept nearly all day, but had a little walk and ate one strip of dried chicken breast before the vet came. He came to the house because she hated going to the vet, and everything was quiet and peaceful.

She was a young soul (you know how they say of creatures that they are "old souls"?). Timid, frightened of nearly everything, not a rough or unkind hair on her body, gentle and reserved. She loved children. We will miss her, but she has been increasingly senile and incontinent for a couple of years and it feels like time. She hasn't fought her condition at all, it has always been her nature to give in rather than to try.

Sleep well, lovely dog. Sweet dreams. Nothing more to be scared of.

The picture is from 2010. Playing in the snow in our back garden, where she felt safe.Snofun.jpg

Attachments

• EF5D35CF-AB25-4961-B409-B8A97ECEA87C.jpeg
    EF5D35CF-AB25-4961-B409-B8A97ECEA87C.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Sad
Reactions: Jessey
I'm so sorry Jane. It sounds like she found the perfect life with you and, although she will clearly be very missed, her perfect end too. Sleep peacefully Peri x

I hope you can all look after each other Jane xx

I'm so sorry. Springers are the most joyful dogs, I'm sure she lived her life to the full with you. Credit to you for making that hard decision. Sleep tight Peri xx

So sorry to read Jane, she was a lucky girl for sure to have you to love her. Sweet dreams beautiful Peri xx

Oh, you are having a rough time of it. Sorry to hear this. Never easy to bear, but you know you did the right thing. Peri sounded lovely, and has left many happy memories. What a fabulous photo too to celebrate a bouncy life with!

so so sad but you are right it was just her time. I have lost around 40 cats over the years, and it's funny the ones that really fight and want to go on regardless and those that just fold and give up. I dread losing one of our poodles, they really do wind themselves around your heart.

So sorry to read this, but glad she had a happy life and a peaceful end. Who could ask for more?

We have a 3 legged dog who is struggling physically - even eats lying down now, and just the other day he pooed in the house, right in front of me. I don't think he even knew he'd done it. It is his time really but he's so bright in himself and such a fighter. He still guards everything he can from the younger dog and is on high alert to protect us all. I just feel like it would be the ultimate betrayal to have him pts when he's so desperate to stay with us.

Peri looks so happy in the snow pic and so calm and sweet in the second. RIP little girl x

newrider.com