**Sweet Itch, Hints and Tips**

HAYLEY GITTOES

Shropshire lass....!
Mar 14, 2002
Shropshire (West Midlands)
Visit site
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread all about the dreaded Sweet Itch!!

My Haflinger mare suffers from sweet itch and have found a few things to help her. I was just wondering if any of you had any ideas to relive your horse / pony of this.

With my mare I find, putting creme under her stomach relives the itches, as this is where she scrates the most. All summer, and starting soon! she lives out in her fly sheet.

I was also wondering, do you put your horse away in there stable at night. I find if I do she will just rub her selt literally red rore, I find putting some hay out on the summer will take her mind off it.

Any hints tips will be great to see how everyone else manages.

Hayley

Reactions: Alex786
Sudocreme is brilliant for the sores should they break the skin :(
My boy wont stay in so he is much happier out.
I also find that a hood under the sweet itch rug will prevent damage to the mane(only to a certain degree though!)

For those of us with rug rippers and not so great fencing a boett isn't really an option. Next best is the Rambo Sweet Itch Hoody and then the HY Guardian.

To ridein Cashel Bug Armour and Benzyl Benzoate doesn't work for mine.

I have just bought my lil welsh pony a Pagony Sweet Itch rug which I am hoping will prevent it this year. She is in it already so hopefully got her protected before anything starts! Ill let you know how we get on.

i hate sudocream :p its gunky, messy, impossible to get off and you end up smearing more cream onto dirty manky old cream because you cant get any of it off. it doesnt soothe any itches either.

only thing i use now for broken skin from itching is Fuciderm from the vets. expensive but definitely works!

I like udder cream for the sore bits and Avon skin so soft for my boys undercarriages. I also sew extra dangly strips onto the hoods for a bit more protection. Stabling does not work for me as they still itch and rub.

It sounds daft but having two with sweet itch means that they will groom each others itchy bits and not trash their rugs :).

After years using Boett rugs I much prefer the Rambo sweet itch hoodies.

I'm not sure if Charlie does have sweet itch but he does get very itchy! I use the avon skin so soft spray and fed marmite last year two, I'm not sure which worked but he didn't itch how he did the years before! This year i've also bought a couple of fly rugs but mainly for the UV protection to stop his coat from fading so he stays black for the shows!

I have heard the rambo fly rugs are really good, I wan to get one for my boy - any ideas how much I should be paying/whats a good price?

I really like Gold Label Wondergel for just about everything!! It dries soft and leaves the coat shiny and not oily or gungey but it definately soothes him when those b******d midges come out!!

I have heard the rambo fly rugs are really good, I wan to get one for my boy - any ideas how much I should be paying/whats a good price?

I really like Gold Label Wondergel for just about everything!! It dries soft and leaves the coat shiny and not oily or gungey but it definately soothes him when those b******d midges come out!!

Use Equine Compare.co.uk, I think Aively is the cheapest website but Cyber Checkout has them really cheap atm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rambo-Sweetit...14&_trkparms=72:1121|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I use Global Herbs Skratch. Start it in Feb and it means my ned can be out 24/7 with no rug or fly spray. It makes him smell awful though - like cat wee !! He used to suffer badly before and had no mane and would rub his tummy on the ground. Skratch is BRILL !!

the best thing to treat the sweet ich with is a lotion sold from a pharmacy used to treat scabies on humans, its called benzyl benzoate (i think) its about £5 for a massive bottle, the same stuff sold in tack shops is £20 just because it saiz equine!! i find it helps alot.. would like to listen to other people's opinions too :):)

New Product available through your vet!!!

Hi Everyone I am a newly registered user although have always liked reading the forum on here, the reason I have decided to join is that there is a REALLY EXCITING NEW product that will be available through your VET in the coming weeks, It is is called CAVALESSE and is a feed supplement as well as a Gel for you to put on areas where the horse has got sores. There has been trials on this product that have shown some FAB results and in my view is something that us horse owners have been waiting for for years. It wont be a cure but they reckon that it reduces the horse wanting to itch, so hopefully our fly rugs will last alot longer and fence posts will stay in an upright position, there is an advert on

http://www.scottishhorse.co.uk/newp..._new_skincare_range_for_horses_and_ponies.php

Its made by the same company that makes the bute DANILON so they should know what they are talking about!!

Let me know what you think

Last edited:
It certainly looks an interesting product!

I'm just a bit concerned that it seems to be a vitamin supplement though?

If it is the B vitamins that are having an effect, then I wonder if it is really any better than just feeding marmite:confused:

It isn't cheap, but if it definitely works then it will be worth it.

I also used boett and pagony sweet itch rugs with vaying success. Then horseware bring out the Rambo Sweet Itch Hoody and it's fab!!!!!!!!!! love it loads.

The onlt problem i have is my shetland is most affected on her head so i have to find a hood that she can't get off... and is small enough!!

I try to stable her at night over the summer as i find this makes so much difference and helps with her weight.

Products I like are Kill Itch, Netex stop itch, phaser fly spray and protection plus. :)

After 6 1/2 years i think i have her sweet itch as much under control as i can!!!! and a much happier hairier pony lol xxx

Global Herbs Skratch Plus as good as cured Lucy's low grade sweet itch last year - we went from itchy scratchy horse of horror to happy relaxed mare with a full mane!

IMO the only way to keep a sweet itch horse or pony comfortable is to rug them in a good quality sweet itch rug 24/7. Boett, De Meulenkamp or snuggy hood. My mare suffers from severe sweet itch. I have to use barrier cream all down her legs and she has a midge mask on over the hood to protect around her eyes and udder guard to protect her boobies and legging on the top of her front legs. She lives out but in very hot weather is bring her in and leave her in for the day, I take all her stuff off, she doesnt rub because wearing the rugs all the time she doesnt get bitten. I spray her with some deet or avon skin so soft as a repellent while she is inside but 'naked'. I also use these products when I ride.

Fuciderm will relieve itching as its a steriod. I have tried all the other product but havnt found any to work, incuding global herbs skratch, marmite, bay leaves. I have found bathing regularly (her not me!!!) in a hypoallergenic shampoo really helps keep her comfortable.

Prevention is better than cure.....If you are at a yard where fencing is a problem try to see if you can put up some elec fencing to keep your horse/pone away from it so that you can use a good rug and save money on pointless creams.

Good luck, I know how hard it is X

Having fed marmite I would agree that this is something that has prevoiusly shown improvement, but I would imagine that this has a few more ingredients, being made by a pharmacutical company suggests that there would be. Best thing is to get in contact with your vet, mine went to a talk that Janssen held and feels that it is definatley worth trying and the trials that have been held are definately promising. Price wise bear in mind that one pot last 3 months because they need such little of it, which again suggests the might be a MAGIC ingredient! I am going to get mine as soon as the vet has it due to the advise saying to start it ASAP to get maximum results. Any improvement would be a god send as I feel that sweet itch also becomes a welfare issue for our poor ponies!

newrider.com