Sweet itch potions??? help!!!

Fab filly

Feb 26, 2009
Help.....my new boy has rubbed his tail right off and I have only had him 3 weeks today!!!!

Anyone got any weird and wonderful potions etc that have worked

have tried

marmite
onions
aloe vera!!!!!!!

Was it 99.99% aloe vera? And how much did you put on and how many times?

I put 99.99% organic aloe vera on my horses rubbed tail twice and day rather generously. I also wash it in johnsons baby shampoo a couple times of week.

It was from holland and barratt but not sure of the %, applyed (sp) only once a day thou, where do you get the 99.99% stuff from?

:)

Smear him in sudocream :)

As in half a small pot at a time!

I also cant recommend the sweet itch hoodys enough - Silver lives in hers and doesnt suffer very much.

I also give her cetrizine hydrochloride (piriton, but I buy supermarket own brand - asda is 16 tabs for about 1.50) when she is bad I give her these - about 4 or 5 tabs (she is 12hh). On a day to day dose I give her three, but I have stopped the day to day as she isn't suffering really, but when she has a bad day I smear her in sudocream and give her 5 tabs. I also rub avon into her bum cheeks - having something cold on her bum cheeks seems to calm her manic itching down :)

aloe vera (i use the human stuff by banana boat) helps and i recommend fuciderm for existing sores (eg where skin has broken). is it actually sweet itch or is he only itching his tail? also wash it regularly with a mild shampoo (wouldnt use teatree, this dries out the skin and can make them more itchy!)

julia

x

Aslo, marmite etc only works (if it works no idea) like garlic, you are supposed to feed all the way through winter as it has a build up effect in the system so it needs a few months to build up the smell enough.

Net-Tex Sweet Itch Salve :D I swear by it - my last horse suffered with Sweet Itch, but you just apply every couple of days, it soothes the itch and stops the vicious circle.

I even use it on Lexi (who doesn't have sweet itch) when she gets a little 'itchy'.

Thanks so much for all the replys
Daffy Dilly - i have emailed Karen ruggles
Lacetti - I am hunting the net
Notpoodle - I have ordered some Fuciderm

I might regret saying this, but I think I've got my sweet itch pone under control! Combination of a sweet itch rug, homeopathic tablets once a day, cider vinegar once a day and neem oil on his face and ears. I tried Global Herbs Skratch, which was recommended, but it didn't work at all for him.

I've come to the conclusion it's really a case of trial and error as what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. So you've just got to hit on the right combination of things for your horse.

I might regret saying this, but I think I've got my sweet itch pone under control! Combination of a sweet itch rug, homeopathic tablets once a day, cider vinegar once a day and neem oil on his face and ears. I tried Global Herbs Skratch, which was recommended, but it didn't work at all for him.

I've come to the conclusion it's really a case of trial and error as what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. So you've just got to hit on the right combination of things for your horse.

Ditto :)

Also definately agree with Zingy there. have had my girly 4 years now, and every summer is the same..try loads of different things and usually still end up with a itchy bald sore pony!! Have tried Global Herbs Skratch Plus but as much as she likes her food she wouldnt touch the stuff, no matter what i mixed it with! But am told its very good if you can start it before the spring comes.
*touch wood* So far so good this year, havent even had to hog her mane which i do every year. She's got her full neck fly rug and mask on (looks like something from out of space hehe), which i spray with a combination of avon skin so soft dry oil and neem oil mixed with water. I did find a rug alone wont stop her rubbing, and she usually ends up wrecking them and costing me a fortune!
Have also been using Benzyl Benzoate, applied to face, tail, between back legs and base of mane every couple of days and its been fantastic. Though it shouldnt be used on broken skin so needs to be started before rubbing is bad. Also need to do a patch test as i've heard a few people on here say theirs has reacted to it. Had been recommended it by a few people and would definately say its working for us. Have just ordered my second bottle :D
Good luck with finding what works best for you, it really is just a case of trying!

out of the most that i have tried the best is sudocrem to soften it and stop it cracking or if he is really itchy i used itch stop to calm him and aloe vera

Aaaargh I'm at my wits end with sweet itch!

Like you my mare kept her tail right up until two weeks ago :mad:

I use T-gel medicated human shampoo, it's for psoraisis(?) and gets rid of dandruff caused by the rubbing, then Naff Off D-Itch, it's like vaseline you have to really work it in but it's good stuff. Well it was for a bit now I'm treating her baldy bum with First Ais Spray and Germolene.. Sigh!

Hi

I am too having a hard time with sweet itch. I bought my gelding in May and he was sold as definately never suffering from sweet itch. Well his tail he rubbed bald first then his mane and when i went on holiday a few weeks ago he rubbed his face bald on one side. He now wears a rug and mask all the time, have found that the best treatment. I take it off to ride and cover him in naf extra strength then after riding rug and mask straight back on.

Have also bought deosect to try, will let you know if it works.

Me too - my fella was coping, and then ten days ago rubbed a five inch strip out of his mane!!!! So now he's in a Pogeny rug 24/7, and as for potions well tried a few different ones. He has been on garlic all year around but judgining by the amount of flies that constantly surround his head and lower legs (the only exposed bits) it doesn't have much of an effect. Feel so sorry for him - must be vile. How do people in Scotland's cope with the midges?????

I have just gone and bought some lyrca from the local dance wear shop!!!! The man was very confused when I said it needed to be breathable but not thin enough for midges to get through!!!!!!!

Having patched up the hole in the tail piece we are doing much better, but midges are p***ing me right off as they are biting round her ears (seeing as its tough to get anywhere else I suppose :rolleyes: ) so she is itching her ears like crazy. Have decided to try and make a lyrca hood for her - her ear bits don't stay on her ears and she just pulls headcollar/fly mask off if I use that to hold it in place!! should be fun!!

Tempted to do a main thread! :p

Homeopathy is supposed to help early on.

I'm just looking at my Holistic horse care book :p & it has all sorts of ideas for sweet itch but heres a few.

Do not feed Corn (maize) since toxins in corn can influence the immune system.
Do not feed Clover or alfalfa hay!
Feed whole crimped or rolled grains & not mixed with molasses or sweetners.

ADD CIDER VINEGAR TO FEED 2tbsp - small horse, 3 tbspn - lg horse. Start 4 months before fly season.
Supplements; Sulphur or digestive enzyme like protease.

Acupuncture is supposed to balance the body & help decrease the skin reaction.

Chamomile reduces itching.

Lavender. In france it is used to treat parasites on horses but i would look further into all of this before trying it out.

newrider.com