Sweetitch

Colette Dillon

Sep 13, 2017
My mare rubbed all her maneover night. I've had her 6 mnth and never had any problems. I've been treating with a paste I bought for wounds.

If she's got sweet itch you will probably need to get him a fly rug or he'll just keep rubbing.
Mine (well, my pony's!) is always at its worst in autumn. I swear by aloe vera products for managing his sore bits.

I would not presume it to be sweet itch if its first appearance - neck worms, contact allergy (dermatitis), lice all present with hair loss on neck.

As joosie says, aloe Vera is amazing. If it is swet it h then rugs are part of the answer

I'd agree, if you've had her all summer with no problems I would be getting it investigated as it would be unusual fot a horse to start with sweet itch over night.

Thanks ordered rug online. She has lived out with us but was stabled all last winter with previous owner. My gelding who won't be parted from her and our little welsh are not showing any signs. After treating her neck and face. She started scratchin her flank and udder

I will look at ringworm do my research get vet to do some scrapping and have a look. Spoke to a friend this morning who tells me her goat came out with same symptoms same time last year in same area of fields?

I wouldn't rule out lice entirely because your others show no signs. I keep my horse with my two donkeys and one of the donkeys gets lice every single year without fail, and quite badly too. neither Dolly nor Bertie ever seem to get them from Joseph. Mind you because I know he is susceptible I always watch like a hawk for the first sign on him and never, ever use his brushes/rugs or anything on the other two all year round.

Reactions: Colette Dillon
Today she seems far more settled. I gave her certrazine last night and she doesn't seem to have scratched. I also drenched in fly spray aswell as treating the wounds. I've got fungatrol and malseb shampoo if needed. Im feeling happier that she seems to have turned a corner and I could actually see new hair growing back. If she does start tearing herself up again I will call the vet. Ive looked at the possibility of it being ringworm and had my very wise and knowledgeable friend look at her and we don't believe it to be ringworm. Thanks

I can't see where anyone suggested ringworm, I see neck thread worm was suggested which isn't the same thing. Hopefully she'd just touched something and that will be the end of it for you :)

Sorry I was half asleep when I playing catch-up last night. Sometimes you can't see wood for trees. Fingers crossed it seems to have calmed down today. I've also got louse powder the gold tin it's amazing what you collect over the years. I'm quite pleased with my equine medicine cabinet lol.

I can't see where anyone suggested ringworm, I see neck thread worm was suggested which isn't the same thing. Hopefully she'd just touched something and that will be the end of it for you :)
Ive just had a gander at neck thread worm and I'm shocked, from what I gather it's caused by midge and black fly bites. Treated by ivermectin? I've got dectomax injectable now I'm wondering if that kills these? Thanks

It couldn't be that your other horse is mutually grooming and pulling it out. This is what's happened with my two. Half way up the neck.

Ive just had a gander at neck thread worm and I'm shocked, from what I gather it's caused by midge and black fly bites. Treated by ivermectin? I've got dectomax injectable now I'm wondering if that kills these? Thanks
Dectomax is a mectin anti parasitic so it should work, remember if it is NTW the horse will get itchier for 2 or 3 days post treatment as they die off.

No new scratches again today. Shampoo with malseb and dried then fungatrol on neck belly chest. It has citronella in smells lush and keeps fly away. Tomorrow will dectomax. Face is healing nicely. Scared to death now regards the neck thread worms after go ogling and reading vet articles. But knowledge is power. Poor pony fed up bless her.

Reactions: Jackielala
newrider.com