Swine flu - who's had it, and what did you do?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
My Oh symptoms now match swine flu, he was bad last night, sweating and coughing, and even though he reacted every time I checked on him (to make sure he's responsive) he looked miles away in his eyes..
This is the fifth day, and although he started the night as described above, his breathing was tonnes better, and his temp went back down..
He told me that his chest is really sore, and last night felt as though it was on fire, and I reckon that's down to the cough, and inflammation on his lungs (he's also a smoker), and I said I don't think it's bronchitis (he suggested it), as with the amount of coughing he's been doing, i'm not surprised he's got a sore chest..
He's much more alert this morning, and has been wandering about the flat a bit, which is more than he's done for the last two days.. He's just gone back to see if he can get a bit of sleep (due to the lack of it last night), and as I already have a doctors appointment today, I'll try to either arrange a visit, or get a prescription for him of antibiotics and maybe an inhaler to help with his chest..
I nearly had the doctor out last night, I was that worried about him, but he seems to have turned a corner this morning:happy:

GP said there have been no cases so it's more likely just a bad strain of flu.. he's much better today, and getting himself some toast, so that's a good sign:biggrin:

I was lucky enough to scrounge a swineflu / normal flu jab (they're combined this year) at our local surgery. OH gets one as he is at risk with his asthma and UC. I would ring your doctor and let them know how poorly your OH is - it isn't worth the risk - he might need some antibiotics or something? Better safe than sorry and all that.
At some point last year we think OH may have had the swine flu, but weren't sure. (This was before the jab became available). He had normal flu symptoms but got some terrible swellings (won't tell you where lol!!!) and was much "iller" than he normally would have been with flu. It lasted about 4 days or so.
Healing vibes to your OH btw.

I've told him to ring and make an appointment, it's what the nurse suggested when I told her this morning

Though if it is swine flu he shouldn't attend a gp/hosital. My boss has just had a horrendous chest infection as you describe, had it for two weeks now with same symptoms

Though if it is swine flu he shouldn't attend a gp/hosital.

Exactly. It's highly contageous & the last place you want to spread germs is where there are other ill people. Get him to phone & speak with a GP, I'd be surprised if they felt it warranted a home visit but they'll usually write out a script for antibiotics if he needs them.

Though if it is swine flu he shouldn't attend a gp/hosital. My boss has just had a horrendous chest infection as you describe, had it for two weeks now with same symptoms

I spoke to the receptionist, and she was adamant that he couldn't have swine flu, when I described his symptoms.. said there was no cases around our area.. I've read up that after the onset, tamiflu is a waste of time, as it will still run it's course, and the advice is rest, and lots of it, taking paracetamol, and hot drinks, and maybe a course of antibiotics if the cough persists..
I have told him, but you know what men are like, stubborn:banghead:

There is alot of diff illnesses going around atm and by what you have described it sounds like he has just had a bad case of one of them. he might have a chest infection, hence the feeling in his chest.
they always seem alot more than a normal cold

I had swine flu when it was first allerted, i was 6mths pregnant at the time, i had a feeling what it was and as i was pregnant i just stayed in bed and was prescribed a antibiotic in a inhaler. i recovered after around 5days but still felt like poo for a few weeks after. I was completly lethargic i couldnt lift my arms n legs atall. i had a really bad head cold but i didnt get the sore throat.

I do honestly believ that your oh hasnt got it or should i say had it. Its only normal to panic and assume it is that as it is in the back of your mind.

I am or should i say was before i had bubby a pharmacy assistant and honestly to me it do sounds like a chest infection possiably started as a cold and gone further.

not a lot stops me in my tracks but blimey that did! I dont think I moved off the sofa for 4 days, struggling to breathe (asthmatic anyway) couldnt lay flat, was awfull, left me with a chest infection for 5 weeks after :(

newrider.com