swollen eyes - reaction?

Katered

hmmm
Aug 13, 2008
Essex, Uk
i went down the yard the other day [sunday i think] and poor ed had swollen eyes, (runny but not gooey). had not eaten all of his hay which is unusual and was still laying down when normally he is up and waiting to go out. he got up fine after we had a quick cuddle and i bathed eyes with tea bags (which confused my OH) and put him out anyway with normal fly fringe on, figured better out than in dusty hot stable.
went to get in later and eyes bit puffy but much better, still runny though. and he had a bump in between his eyes, it does not seem to hurt wondered if he had been bitten/stung from something in the hay over night. the bump is hard, kind of like a gnat bite but a horse size 1. I have not seen any horse flies yet which could make a bump like that. but anyway, his eyes a little runny still and the right one which was the worse eye on sunday just a bit puffy, you would not no unles you compared the to eyes.
going to bathe in tea bags again later today. now years ago im sure i was told to give an old riding school horse piriton once a day because in spring she became very irritated and her eyes swelled up because of a reaction to pollen, horsey hay-fever. thinking about giving ed one. going to call vet to check i am not getting confused, has anyone else given piriton?

newrider.com