Swollen front leg. Any ideas??

emmathechief

Wahoooooooooo!
Jan 8, 2008
with the voices in my head
Lou has a swollen leg:(. Here's what happened

Thursday night she was fine, I went away early Friday leaving a friend in charge.
Phone call Friday night, Lou has a big swollen leg (near side, fore) from pastern to above the knee. No visible cuts or grazes. Not lame when trotted up. She has 2 bute in tea, 1 Saturday morning and antibiotics Saturday evening as well as 2 more bute.
When I got home Sunday lunch (straight up to the yard, as you can imagine) and she has a big swollen knee. Nothing down the tendons, fetlock or pastern just a big swollen knee. It was a little warm compared to the other but only around the front and lower part of the joint but certainly not hot. Still not lame when trotted up (but dosed up on bute now). Walked out in hand and it reduced the swelling slightly no change to heat and not lame.

Anyone else has this or know what it might be? She is stabled 24/7 and in light to no work at moment. She knocked her knee about 2 weeks ago when turned out (very rarely turned out) Could it be brusing from 2 weeks ago?

Thanks for reading
xx

Id get the vet out today if I were you. Only he/she is going to be able to diagnose what might be a temporary lameness or something more serious.

My girl has just been diagnosed with a chipped knee bone which is an old injury but has only recently flared up so no-one would have been able to diagnose that without scans or xrays.

Good luck.

newrider.com