Swollen Glands

Misteeq

Aug 24, 2006
Hi,

I put my horse out in the field yesterday for a few hours after being in for almost three weeks due to the snow and bad weather, and when I got him in, I noticed both glands in his neck were really swollen.

He ate all his dinner and was tucking into his haynet when I left last night.

I had a good feel, and they didn't seem to be bothering him too much, although he did swish his tail a few times, so I think they were a bit tender.

This morning, they had gone down a lot, but were still slightly swollen. He ate all his breakfast and all his hay was gone this morning. I've left him in and he was tucking into some hay when I left.

Should I be worried at all?

He is in a field with some sheep. Could this make his glands swollen?

Thanks.

My 1st pony used to get the same thing. It was because she used to eat the hedgerows during the winter & there was something in the hedge that used to make her glands swell up in her neck. I spoke to the vet about it at the time and he said it was common and not to be worried by it.

Thanks very much for your reply - I feel a bit better now!

I haven't slept all night worrying about him!

Thanks.

It's perfectly normal; no one is 100% sure what causes it (most common theories include eating from hedgerows, eating lush grass, eating short grass etc) but we know it's harmless :)

Thanks Midnight Ashes - I definitely feel better now!

He has hedges in his field, and no doubt he has been tucking into those!

I started to panic last night as they were both the size of tennis balls - no exageration!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest! :)

newrider.com