Swollen in sockets above eyes?

Rosie1994

Jun 16, 2007
Hard to explain, but last night when my mare came in, the 'socket' area above each eye was quite swollen and pufffy. It was noticeable as she was eating as that area was moving in and out. They didnt seem sore and her eyes seemed fine. This morning, the swelling seemed to have gone. Is this something to do with grass? Can anyone advise me as to what it may be?

Hayfever? I have a shetland that has had these symptons which vet said was pollen allergy, might explain why they got better when stabled.
My shetland was treated with eye drops, but bathing with luke warm water a few times a day does the job if not too swollen.

But could be something different.

Thanks for that. She has no discharge or anything and the eyelids seemed OK. It was just the socket above the eye, where there is normally a sort of indentation. It is interesting about the pollen allergies, as she did actually have allergy tests 2 years ago, it did prove that she had sweet itch, but also some pollen allergies! I moved yards to help with controlling itching and she has been great as far as that is concerned, but maybe the pollen is affecting her. Did you find that your pony's 'swellings' came & went ?

Hi, rosie my shetland only had one bad attack when pollen levels were really high last year and there were alot of high risk pollen crops surrounding his field.Once I knew what his problem was kept a close eye on him and bathed his eyes if they showed any sign of swelling.
Have just remembered vet saying if symptons persisted or got worse he could have blocked tear ducts, but in his case it was was defo pollen.
Hoping my shetland will be ok this year as in different field surrounded by pasture.

Thanks. Spoke to vet yesterday, she said it is most likely to be fluid. When the horse has its head down most of the time grazing, obviously fluid runs downwards. She said as it seemed to go overnight, then probably this, and nothing to worry about. She said it would be possible to be because of pollen, but not a common type of reaction to pollen. She also said they can get fat pads here with cushings disease. So I am keeping an eye on her, but not too worried!!

If its only there when head is down then its nothing to panic about, head up it can be a sign there's a problem. Those little socket bits getting filled as well as a cresty neck can be because of grass and can be a warning sign for laminitis being a risk. But one of mine had those filled bits above the eyes for a while and was otherwise totally healthy, they went away again when I started feeding her salt.

When they were cutting fields next door for silage on Tues and today, my pony has had a dry hacking cough and a slight runny nose, but not on Wed or Thurs.

I was thinking it could be a pollen allergy and the dust the machines were kicking up , as he coughs on dry dusty hay, so I wet it.

Both nights I kept him in on wet hay and he is fine the next day.

Now you have given me something else to go and look at now - eye sockets. He already gets COPD, laminitis, has a paralysed throat, and sweet itch.

Thanks for pointing out yet another worry . lol

newrider.com