Swollen sheath

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Apart from the lack of movement are there any other reasons for a swollen sheath. I noticed the other night chunky was really swollen and tight. So I lunged him and then took him for a walk in hand whilst I did the rounds on the sheep and cows. By the time we got back it had gone down. Hasn't come up since. Hes out 24/7 but it's been hot so I'm wondering if hes just been standing around. Although when I looked out he was always in a different place in the field. Hes had no riding or driving for about 10 days as I've been so busy with hay making. Wonder if hes just not moving enough with old age, or something else.

Ziggy often got a swollen sheath at this time of year. It seemed to be mostly a change of season thing and fly irritation. Sometimes it was enormous, poor boy. Aloe Vera gel helped a lot.

Small bean removed when I was feeling around the swelling. Not big at all. I do a regular check every couple of months now since my mass find last year. Very conscious these days.
He does get lots of flies round that area. Has done for many years during summer. I usually put summer fly cream on. As flies will irritate till they open up little scabs. This warm weather has just started that happening this last couple of weeks but not open enough to cause infection at present.

Swollen sheath can be a sign of cushings. My boy had a swollen sheath on and off before he was diagnosed with cushings..I never would have connected the two but since being diagnosed I have read it can be one of the signs.

Pete's sheath became swollen before his first (and so far, last *touch wood* ) Laminitis episode.

No not tested recently for cushings. Was about 3 years ago.
Was reading something tonight on rapid hoof growth can be a sign of cushings. Hes grown madly for many years though but now it makes me wonder.
Just been out to feed them and no swelling at all. So fingers crossed.

It can be a sign of cushings, so worth keeping an eye on. Bo used to get very swollen when the flies were bag and the weather warm, he didn't have cushings or any other problems like that, a walk (he also lived out 24/7 so can only assume it was walking properly not just ambling that helped) and fly gunk all over there helped lots.

Harvey has had it a couple of time - he is sensitive to flies so I assumed fly bite (his was worse on one side and he is a bit allergic to flies)

As others have said it could be a fly bite or a sign of cushings , or he could have kicked himself getting rid of flies. It can also be an early warning of an imminent laminitis bout.

newrider.com