Sycamores

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Just wondering about sycamores. Are the seeds poisonous or is it the seedlings. What about sycamore leaves on the mature trees or in the autumn when they drop.

All of it is toxic :( each tree varies in the amount of the toxic bit it has, and a tree that's low in it this year could be high in it another year, which is why people often say 'oh my horses have been eating them for years and been fine' but it doesn't mean they will always be fine :(

I know they drip when you park under them as my car windscreen has resin over it and I've noticed all the places we have them in the fields the grass is rank so even the sheep aren't eating the grass. Can the resin drip be toxic.

I would assume so, as every other part of the tree can be I would think anything coming from it could be :( I have a huge one in my field driveway, luckily its got huge leylandii (that dwarf the sycamore) on 3 sides of it and the road is on the 4th side, so the leaves don't blow into my field and I have only pulled 2 seedlings in the year I have been there. I did panic the other day that I found 3 in the hedge in the field, but they were actually field maple which looks similar but isn't the same and isn't toxic.

newrider.com