SYmptoms of a buttercup alergy in Horses and POnies

I was having a real panic about buttercups as Hugo's field is covered in the really tall ones! He got a couple of blister type thingys around his nose where I think the pollen from the buttercup 'burnt' him a bit. I just used a bit of sudacrem (can't spell :eek:) for a couple of days which really helped. He didn't display any other symptoms x

Mr Shay is allergic to the pollen in buttercups, he has hayfever like symptoms, runny eyes, runny nose, coughing.

Kia has a few lighter patched on the corners of his mouth that i think are due to the butter cups as he has bit protectors on and he never had them until the summer field erupted with the bleeding things!!!

I cant see grass from buttercups.

Glad that he doesnt really eat them.

Nikki xxxx

buttercups

Yep, mine got what I thought was sunburn on her nose but think now that it was probably the buttercups, also when i put her out the other day she put her head down to graze and then started coughing which she had not done since then so maybe this is a symptom as well? how long do the buttercups last for?? I have been using sudocream too.

my mare suffers from ulcers on her lips from buttercups. My vet is a homeopath and prescribed her a buttercup nosode (remedy made from buttercups). As long as I give her the remedy everyday starting a month before the buttercups arrive (difficult to judge some years!!) and stop when they do arrive or approx a month later we have minimal problems.

Thanks everyone. Questy was in a field full of tall buttercups. He had several really sore patches on his face, and was very itchy all over. Hes out of that field now, and not so itchy, but still uncomfortable.

I thought it might have been the buttercups because hes not rubbing raw like my cob did with sweet itch. However I think it still might be sweet itch.

Ohhhhhh! This would explain the state of Kazz's muzzle last year. I was aware buttercups were a low level poison for horses but I did not know they effected the skin. That explains a lot! Maybe some kind of barrier cream would help.

apparently buttercup pollen is a good fly repellent for those horses that aren't allergic... my farrier was telling me the other day that he knows loads of horses in buttercup fields that are fine and they roll in the buttercups to get covered in the pollen and then have fewer flies bothering them :eek:

ETA: unfortunately my horses haven't heard of this fabulous fly repellent so haven't rolled in the buttercups much and were covered in horse flies today... or maybe its a good fly repellent for the normal flies but not the ones that bite ;)

Last edited:
That's really interesting, Cos. We are knee deep in buttercups at our donkey sanctuary and are having precious little bother with flies this year. The tails are very busy, mind you, but none of the animals are being all that bothered with bites, etc. Like other people who have posted, this is the worst year we have ever had for buttercups - makes you hang your head in shame at bad land management - but I really had no idea they would be as thick as this.
Will be getting the soil tested for ph levels and thinking about spreading lime for another year.

Hello.
I think my old pony may be allergic to buttercups. Last year and this year his eyes have swollen and runny, he's had a fly mask on that's not helped any suggestions please. Thanks

Hello Deborah, nice to meet a new member. This is a very, very old thread (from 2008). If you don't get many responses, you may do better posting a new one. But people may reply - wait and see!

Hi. My horses pasture is buttercups. They mowed it 2 weeks ago. Just went away for 2.5 days, she had a dry patch on right side,my daughter called and said she is a mess and has lots of hair missing. I put her in the pasture at 1:30 and now all of a sudden she has all these patches. Do either she rolled in rge span of 4 hours or it may be the pine trees?

If she's that bad you may be better getting the vet who can give her something to damp down the allergic reaction. a mild case you can give antihistamine tablets but a bad reaction needs a vet. Then change her field and look at getting rid of the buttercups, if needs be she may need to be stabled until the rection has gone down or have a rug in to keep her skin from contact with the allergen whatever it is. It's unusual for buttercups to cause a reaction on the body the body though.

By the way it's generally better to start a new post for something rather than bring up a very old one :)

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com