Synthetic Saddles

Yes I had one fitted by my saddle fitter, the make of the saddle was "euro riders" and it was very lightweight and lovely to ride in and relatively cheap to buy.

have been into horses for the last 37 yrs! therefore remember the very first ones and they were horrible. and of course horse people tend to be very traditional too. but i have had three now and i nthink they are brill:D. the first one i had was a throughgood dressage the model i had was only available europe it lasted for 12 years " in competion condition" and is still used today!!. at present i have two both wintec pro's one dressage and one g.p. and can't recommend them enough. i suppose it depends on what you do with your horse, my horse was primarly a show horse and we have a very nice seude show saddle for that, but i also do abit of dressage- and like a correct saddle for the job and for everyday my gp is marvelous. they have loads of advantages could go on and on but i think you get the picture. lol:D

aw thanks for your help:D
i mainly want it for general hacking/schooling/jumping and local shows so nothing big! I've always fancied a synthetic saddle cause they seem to be so much lighter:)
x

It depends what make the saddle is as opposed to whether it's leather or synthetic but I much prefer to ride in a synthetic. It suits me much more. Having exercises 4 horses at the RS on boxing day whom all had leather saddles, my poor bum has paid for it!

I love leather saddles but wanted an adjustable one to put on my pony for backing - so go a synthetic - and it hasnt been replaced yet a year later- shes a table top haflinger and the Thorowgood Cob XW is just right with its 4th girth strap giving stability. She loves it and so do I!

The only awful thing is the synthetic girth straps which are impossible to get done up and now have started to split - am having to get them replaced. But for just over £200 quid new, just needs occasional spray with the synthetic saddle cleaner, its brilliant!

For everyday, esp for roly poly hard to fit wide coblets, they are great.:D

my daughter has a thoroughgood maxam which is god knows how old. They are about £160 new and between £60 - £80 2nd hand. Obviously u cant shine them up like a nice leather one but they are so lightweight and easy to clean. I find it ideal in the summer as it's a lot lighter for holly on hot days when i doubt she wants the extra weight of a leather one on her back.

I've got a wintec wide, wintec pro dressage and a thorowgood griffin. Fake suede stuff has worn under the stirrup leathers on the pro dressage but the other two are wearing really well. Its only the 'suede' knee rolls on the wintec wide that shows some wear and the thorowgood is in great condition even though madam had a paddy while tacking up and saddle ended up on the floor :rolleyes:

Coblet's leather saddle is nicer than her wintec wide, but at more than twice the price it bl**dy should be! The wintec fits better so the leather one only comes out for poncing about at shows :)

I have a Thorowgood VIP Endurance saddle. Very nice saddle for its price..well made.
Thorowgoods are a lot more comfy to me than the wintecs are..used to have an Isabel dressage.
Thorowgood's are also wider than the Wintecs.

Whats nice about the synthetic saddles..is there no worries about them getting wet or dirty. Easy to hose them off.
I have not had mine long, so no help to you there.

I was looking at a Wintec for Xmas. Went into the sale at Derby House in Glasgow yesterday and they had a Wintec for £137. I was feeling great until I saw it was an 18inch :'(

Have seen a few on ebay myself which look a good price.

I love the thought of having a synthetic for general riding, but a leather for competitions.

Jenny and Tyler
x

newrider.com