Synthetic Saddles

Peaches

Jun 29, 2008
I need some help please!

I'm looking at rebreaking and riding our stud stallion over this summer, and will begin some long reining and lunging the latter half of next week. He's a welsh B, and only 12.3 and a bit bless him :D But a strong lad with good movement and good conformation and I'm tall (I'll have my feet down around his fetlocks but hey ho!), but light enough that I should be able to get away with it.

Problem is getting a saddle to work him in. I don't have a fortune to spend and this combined with the fact because he's only little, the shorter the better really. We have various saddles, and my treeless 17" (about a 16.5 treed length) drowns him, and our 16.5 working hunter saddle doesn't fit anyway but just placed on him for length wise it's too long. I think we should get away with a 16" but no more - he's a very compact little man.

Now, can people give me a guide on synthetic saddles which come this small? I prefer the synthetic leather equivelant if poss as I hate suede or fabric feel seats but I'll live with what is comfortable for him. I also prefer set back stirrup bars - so I'm presuming dressage saddles might be where I'm going to have to look?
Interchangable gullets would be fantastic but not essential, as he is a welshy meaning he has a tendancy to be put on a lot of weight but being a stallion can get stressed about his herd during the breeding season and so will drop a lot of weight off.

So what can people recommend sythetic wise? And what price range? I don't expect all that for nothing, but I'm usally a leather saddle person and so synthetics are a little different - trying to find all that in a good quality leather saddle is presumably going to be fairly more expensive...

Obviously not all sythetics will fit, not will a changable gullet mean it will fit anything and everything, but I'm just looking for a guide as to what to look into and talk to saddlers about. I don't *think* my treed saddler sells synthetics but I will have a chat with him anyway incase, and even if he doesn't, get his opinion on what makes might fit the pony =]

So just some research really! Any info, prices, experiences and photo's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

Thanks. I had a look on the wintec site and their saddles I think seem to be 16.5 or 17" smallest but they do most of theirs in the pony equivelant which goes right down to a 15" from what I gather so they look a good bet.

You know me K, and you know I'm totally saddle paranoid and won't have a saddle thrown on without a saddler checking fit unless I'm very happy with it so I'm just researching ;)

Thanks and if you can ask ex-boss that would be great - can send pic if need be.

He's going to be thrilled to get some work - we brought him in today to brush him over and try the saddles we had on him for a guide and he was so pleased! Sooooo dejected when he was then put straight out in the field again bless him :D

Way to make sure I keep my weight down horses - I'd never fit in the saddles my lot seem to wear otherwise, I obviouly favour the compact type!

Bless him, he sounds like fun. :)

Yes please, a few photos would be great - usual angles - above, from the back, side on etc, then I can speak to Bob. :) (ex boss)

Can you email them to me?

I've got a 16" VERY old thorowgood here, medium fit, but non adjustable. Shame you're so far away or you'd be welcome to try it. It's got a 'fabric' seat though. Not had a huge amount of use, even though it's about 12 years old.

Problem you'll have is long legs on small flaps. ;) Dressage option is probably your best bet.

Yep that was my thought. I don't think we'll do much jumping anyway, as although he should have a good pop in him (all his foals do - one of them sailed over the fence instead of going through the open gateway this morning, at just a few months old :eek:), he doesn't like to even step over a pole :D His movement on the other hand, WOW!

I just feel stuck to anything not slidy and I don't like that feeling. Having said that I'm probably going to be pinned in to the little seat anyway so hey ho LOL!

Will email you a side on I have now and try to get some specific shots tonight. Thanks K.

All other people - any ideas welcome =] x

Flashy what are the hi lights like quality wise? The photo's of them in the link you gave are really bad angles and make them look very unlevel - do you have any of yours ON the horse? Also what shape horse do you have it on?

newrider.com