Tack cleaner / cleaning question - expert advice required!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Please all you tack experts out there, can you tell me what and how I'm meant to clean my tack?! Reason I'm posting is because I keep reading conflicting views and getting what I think is the right advice only to read another article and find it contradictory!

Your Horse magazine recently said in an article, NOT to use saddle soap that often as it dries the tack out and is astringent? I was always led to believe (from the instructions on the soap and other publications) that you needed to thoroughly soap and work it into the leather?

Is there any such thing as a two in one cleaner / leather conditioner? Or do you have to do both things seperately?

Would be really grateful as I need to look after my saddle and bridles a bit better and each time I now feel I'm possibly even making them worse?!:help:

Oh, and is there a particular cleaning product that comes highly recommended? I spotted some wipes in Robinsons that claimed to repel the mould, so must have contained some kind of inhibitor?
Thanks in advance.

I use barrier glycerine gel spray as it said its made of veg soap, glycerine and an anti mould inhibitor, it does say it doesnt dry the leather out, I then use carr,day and martins conditioning soap thingy that has been around years and lasts a lifetime.

I have been told that neats foot oil is bad and can rot the stiching ?

I like the sound of the Horsemens one-step! I just think its so confusing - I have always used the Orange boxed soap by Belvoir, but as I said, after reading that article about it being astringent and possibly drying out the leather I've been a bit put off!

Yes, apparently Neatsfoot is the devil's own!lol, I'd been merrily coating all my tack in it, once every six months, but Kis on here said its a big NO NO!!!! (I even used to do my long leather boots in it!)

I use a damp (not wet) sponge to get the dirt and grease off then treat it with stubben hamanol......i dont and havnt used saddle soap/bottled spray cleaner for years!

KV suggested a animal fat based treatment as apposed to oil as oil dries it out and can rot the stiching as well I have heard!

Last edited:
I'm a bit naive & unknowledgable (it feels) when it comes to cleaning tack - I feel like I have no clue & have been known to spend aaaages reading labels on what does what, how, where, why, how often and so on :sleep:

I have been using NAF (I think :unsure:) quick clean spray and then the leather balsam that comes in the tub. I use a (clean!) washing up sponge to wipe the spray through and then 'massage' in the balsam.

It seems to work, makes the leather look nice & clean - and smells yummy! :spin:

I use the Carr Day & Martin 2 step cleaning stuff and then once all dry I use Jeffries Leathercare which is basically like beeswax to feed and condition the leather. Not had any problems so far and have lovely supple tack

Thanks for all the replies! I guess its a bit like anything, there are many products that all do the same or similar job!
I had some Effol stuff in a small tub, that smelled nice and was good at nourishing the dryer leather - sadly I've not seen it anywhere lately to replace it.

Another vote for the Horsemans One Step - I use it on my bridle, its easy to use and brings it up nicely... Also have used my friends Effax leather balm recently and that was really nice but think it was quite expensive...

As for my saddle I really need to sort out something for Nubuck and then it might actually get cleaned.. :redcarded:

Last edited:
The good old days of Car, Day Martin saddle soap bars was all we had years ago as far as I remember.

I still use their stuff, just the step 1 spray and was still using the bar as a conditioner.

It was recommended by my saddler to use Stubben Hamanol conditioner after cleaning. I have been using and it is a lovely. Rub it in then buff it off. Smells great too. I can see the difference on my saddle, it seems supple and not slippery after cleaning.

I've also used copious amounts of neatsfoot oil in the past on everything! Now it seems to be a no go!

Another vote for stubbon clearing products. I am very OCD with my tack and have to clean it after every ride (which is every day) I use a damp sponge and wipe the stubbon soap stuff (in a white round tub) over all of it including my saddle.

I love my tack and great it feels.

newrider.com