Tack cleaning

magicmouse

Property of Mouse
Mar 29, 2006
England
Hello,

My bridle is quite disgusting:eek:. It's very old, and probably about 5th hand! However, it's still in good repair, but filthy, however much I clean it. How can I remove the dirt of ages? Also, what is the best metal polish to use and are there any horse friendly ones which can be used on the mouth piece of the bit? They are expected to be shiny as well at camp, but Mouse's slobber has made it go slightly green tinted:eek:.

Sarah

give it a good rub over with warm water first, i tend to use those tack cleaning sponges with the white, scrubby side on them to get off any dirt and grease. i know you can use products like braso/silvo on the buckles of a bridle but i wouldn't use it on a bit. i soak my bits in hot water then scrub them well with a toothbrush to get off any slime/grass deposits :)

They can expect all they like at camp, shiny mouth peice on a bit is the least important thing. How do you get sweet iron shiny? It is designed to be rusty!

The dish washer is a good place to put stirrup irons and bits to get them to shine, but not sweet iron ones!

If it is an old bridle be careful not to over do things, the older they get the more and more impregnated with oil they get, when you clean a really old bridle you will always get a small amount of dirt on the sponge. Just make sure the flesh side (nearest the horse) has no clumps of grease on it. Nail brushes are good fopr that. Make yourself a strap board, a board of smooth wood with a small nail at the top, hook the buckle on the nail and then you can scrub away on the strap with ease.

Wally said:
Make yourself a strap board, a board of smooth wood with a small nail at the top, hook the buckle on the nail and then you can scrub away on the strap with ease.

What a fantastic and simple tip....... going to ask my OH to make me one of those.... :)

Now, where's he gone?.....

"DOM?" (*wanders off shouting........*)

i use a blunt knife, like a pallete knife to scrape the grease off. only do this very lightly to ensure you dont break it!

or make a sponge really soapy and work it in in circular motions until it is completely lathered up and then rinse off with a damp cloth.

newrider.com