Tack storage options??

Bimbambo

Bea - My Boy Freddy's Mum
May 16, 2006
Essex
For those of you that do not have anywhere secure for your tack where do you keep it??

Can anyone recommend a container/storage box that can be locked??

Have seen some purpose built tack lockers but they seem to cost a fortune!! :eek:

Might be worth looking around for a big old victorian wardrobe and bunging a lock on that. The old wardrobes don't cost a lot (especially the darkwood ones) as they aren't in vogue ;)

i bought some fairly big plastic chests from screwfixdirect.com they was only 30 quid each. i bought 2, i keep my all my rugs and head collars etc in there, and although i know a saddle should go on a rack i also keep it sat on top of the rugs in the chest.

in the other i keep grooming kit boots my kit etc... they are ideal

I spent quite a bit of time looking into Tack Lockers recently.

You can get a police locker (60cm by 60cm, or it'll be too small) for circa £150. Cheaper than the tack locker of the same price, although the Police locker doesn't have the associated hooks and racks, they would be easy enough to put in. As an aside, I would be tempted to add one of the racks which takes a padlock. ;)

I did contact West Yorkshire Police trying to track down some second hand lockers, but no such luck unfortunately. I'm sure there is a contract for their disposal somewhere, but nobody knew of it.

Since Daffy retired my tack has been kept at home, but if I do see a second hand tack locker locally, I'll probably snap it up for the convenience of having one. :)

ETA, I got my quote from Link Lockers. There was some negotiation over price, and if you could find some other interested parties, you might be able to get a discount. The things that bumped the price up to £150 were VAT and shipping.

Last edited:
I'm looking for somewhere to store my saddle too. I don't want to leave it at the yard in case it gets stolen, but would happily leave it there if it could be locked in an immovable locker of some sort!

I suppose if you took out the shelves you could use a fridge freezer, and I'd imagine it'd be quite secure.

I'm hopefully getting a supermarket trolley cage and fixing that inside the shed so that even if the shed is broken into the bridles etc are secure in the cage. I'd take the wheels off too to make it harder to shift!

Otherwise I do have a lockable filing cabinet for spare tack and schooling equiptment.

OH made mine! Don't think it would withstand much though of a burglary assault though! Best ones I've seen have been whacking great chest freezers with bolts fitted, even the 'fit-for-purpose' ones dont seem all that durable.

My tack's not insured unless it's behind a 5 bar mortice lock door (whatever that is), or in my car. So the pricey saddle stays in the car, everything else gets chucked in the tack 'cupboard'.

I used to use the plastic garden storage chest, but they are really easy to break into. I know someone got into mine twice.

Now i use a chest freezer, got it 2nd hand for free the people were only to glad to get rid of it. Its lockable and almost imovable.
Still take my saddle home though. Wouldnt trust leaving that to chance.

When we didnt have anywhere safe I just stored mine in the car, safest place!
I have one of those storage boxes (from B&Q) to store my rugs in but I wouldnt want to put tack in there as it could be broken into quite easy.
Those steel locker type things are best for tack if you really want a box type thing to put it in-they would be too heavy to lift as well but I think they are quite pricey?????

I too have a plastic storage chest from B&Q and given that it is a slot together one is isn't secure!

Not only that but it is too small to get my saddle in and out of easilly without scratching or bending the hell out of it.

newrider.com