Tack

Laura4543

May 20, 2019
I have been riding for about a year and see the odd person wearing these.

I tried one on that was like a waistcoat but the ones I see people wearing look quite different and more comfortable.

Is it a good idea to buy one?

Are they comfortable?

What brand is best?

Last edited:
It probably is a good idea, but I must admit I never wear one. I learned and rode for many years without one, when I did try them I found them restrictive and I felt that how it limited my flexibility made me more likely to fall, and land badly if I did.

I have an airowear reiver. They do restrict you but I was told to always wear close to the body and put your coat over the top. I wear mine everytime I ride. After being bucked off a horse at a walk and a fall not wearing one when horse spooked and getting dragged and trampled i learned my lesson. I think if you are jumping they can help protect.
I've had two airowear reivers. The first one used to hit the back of my saddle and the bottom bent out so I got a slightly shorter one.
Interesting I was just looking at the airowear site and I see that most come with a zip front. I've not tried those but I wonder if they might be more restrictive than the velcro sides on the reiver, especially if you put a bit of weight on or have more layers underneath.

I'm assuming this is about body protectors? I feel like there should be a picture in the first post and I can't see one?

Anyway - I have an Airowear Outlyne body protector - its zips up the front but has velcro on the sides and shoulders for adjustments. They do need fitting properly - mine took about 30 minutes, starting with measuring to get more or less the right size, and then checking it out sitting on a saddle. I am pretty sure its a lot easier for a male to get a comfortable fit!

The ladies I know who wear them seem to prefer the ones with lots of small panels (Racesafe??)

Reactions: Trewsers
I have the HitAir and feel nekkid without it if I don't wear it, which is never.

My spinal surgeon said I could only ride again if I promised to wear it and approved of this body protector.

It is very comfortable and does not inhibit my riding in any way.

I'm assuming this is about body protectors? I feel like there should be a picture in the first post and I can't see one?

Anyway - I have an Airowear Outlyne body protector - its zips up the front but has velcro on the sides and shoulders for adjustments. They do need fitting properly - mine took about 30 minutes, starting with measuring to get more or less the right size, and then checking it out sitting on a saddle. I am pretty sure its a lot easier for a male to get a comfortable fit!

The ladies I know who wear them seem to prefer the ones with lots of small panels (Racesafe??)

That's what I thought - I just assume it is about bp's?

I have an ancient Rodney Powell. Needs replacing I know, but it's better than nowt. Am saving for another, but sorely tempted to try the MH coat with built in protection. OH had one years ago, I'm not even sure they still do them, but I quite fancied the idea.

newrider.com