Taking a horse on trial with a view to buy, advise please

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
If you see a horse advertised for sale and the person has offered you to try for 6-8 weeks before you buy do people do this. Do you have any written agreement.
Suppose you have it for a few weeks really like it so have it vetted. What happens then if the person changes there mind about selling the horse once its vetted. Obviously the person buying pays the vetting but if the person backs out from selling could you make them pay the vetting costs if its in the agreement.
Should one get it insured for the loan period. Do you insure for veterinary or does the owner claim on there insurance should the horse get injured whilst you have on loan. Do you cover tack. If buyer already has another horse do then need to have separate public liability for the loan horse or can that loan horse be added onto existing policy.
What is the rough cost for insuring.
Obviously buyer picks up shoeing/feed costs. Anything else that needs to be in an agreement.

Or would the buyer be better to not loan and just have the horse vetted and buy it. If it turns out not to be the one they just sell it.

Last edited:
A lot of good questions, if it were me, I would want a normal loan contract plus a clause re the vetting/sale and I would insure to the nines just to cover my ass :)
Any sale the seller could back out after the vetting is done, so I think that's just a normal risk.

My experience is that the horse goes on a full loan type agreement in that you are responsible for everything, insurance for the horse and all tack. My husband had his gelding on LWVTB and he was responsible for the horse, no one else was allowed to ride him nor was he to be kept at any other yard except for the one specified in a water tight loan agreement and that was back in 1996 !

Vettings, shoes, feed and livery cost you can't claim back, neither for any items you buy the horse even if you give them back with the horse. Contracts should be drawn up agreed witnessed and signed. Also insurance and copies of the passport should be witnessed and signed to show any possible alterations after the fact. The copied should be handed over when money is exchanged.

Remember to agree a price also that cannot be changed.

newrider.com