Talk to me about appaloosas

Em 1

Aug 18, 2001
I've been away from riding for a while now for various reasons but I'd really like to get back into it now. I'm totally unfit and very overweight at the moment which means that riding schools aren't yet an option. I also really miss the horse care/poo picking/mucking out side of things and doing all that would help me loose weight and get fit.

Anyway .... there is a lovely appaloosa for share near me but I don't know anything about them as a breed. Can anyone tell me about their temperament/quirks? Would you consider them to be good weight carriers (obviously depends on the build of the horse but generally speaking)?

Secondly, if you were looking for a sharer, would you consider someone who can't ride (yet) but would be able to do all the care and groundwork/lunging if appropriate. The ad is for someone to ride, groom and muck out. Would you feel I was wasting your time?

Any and all ideas and opinions gratefully received :)

Well, I personally don't like appy's as a rule, I can't even put my finger on what exactly, they just don't do it for me :p Having said that I know some who are fantastic horses who are very good at their jobs :D I find they have a bit of a stubborn streak and although highly intelligent they like to play dumb and pretend they don't know what you are asking ;) its probably mean to stereotype like that but that's been my experience and I've dealt with and ridden quite a few, of course there is always an exception to every rule. They are generally good weight carriers, they are stock horses so often ridden by men/cowboys working the range, they have good legs and big feet on a solid body.

One horse that pop's to my mind that disproves my rule is my friends huge 16hh+ boy who he used to do western and polo on, he was a bit nutty and flailed himself around an awful lot, then his owner was involved in an accident at work and lost both his legs and I never thought he would ride again, let alone on his big appy, low and behold not 2 years later he was out competing him again, the big boy had adapted really well and was totally looking after Mic, even with his prosthetics attached into his stirrups flapping around this horse became Mr reliable and they have gone on to do many, many wonderful things together in some situations that I would never have dreamed this horse would cope with (in his early days) and he has taught many wounded warriors to ride now, a bloody good horse if ever there were one.
Themselves at Olympia
mic.jpg
I would give the owner a call Em, you have a great knowledge of all things horsey, you have just been out of the saddle for a while and I think any owner would be lucky to get you as their sharer and I bet you'll be back riding in no time :D

Reactions: Em 1
I have met a few, YEARS ago on the endurance circuit, they seemed sane sensible fellows, but for some reason were very thin in the tail department!

Have you thought about volunteering at a riding school, do some horse care exams on the way, it will get you out and about, get you the exercise to boost weight loss and in no time you'll be riding.

Years ago we had a lass volunteer at a riding school I worked at. She had been struggling with weight for years and was physically unable to get on a horse due to her size. She came and helped out every day, and I cannot remember the time scale but in not time she had lost enough weight to be riding every day.

Oh yes, the no mane or tail is a look I don't like, its very common especially on the darker colour's, its a breed trait not sweet itch as many folks assume.

A lot depends on luck. A dependable keen person with some experience might be a welcome sharer. Folk often need help with the care side of things, not just riding. There was an ad local to me only last week. A lady was looking for help with 2 horses - one an much loved oldie and the other a 10yo TB mare. She wanted help 1-2 days a week to bob up and do health check, feeds etc.. That was for payment or riding in exchange if and when the helper fancied it. So there are some opportunities. Volunteering is a great idea to get hands on again without wading straight in with unknown owners and/or horses! Plus it will build up the activity level slowly and shift the weight

As for the ad you've seen I would contact her. Help with horse care may be the most wanted part. Riding may only be on offer to help tempt people - she could always get a rider separately. Then you could take on riding duties once you felt fit enough and had bonded with the horse. The only Appy I knew was a decent riding horse but a bit spooky.

I tried an Appy when I was buying my first. He was lovely, only 4 years old but solid and sensible. I should have bought him but I hesitated and he was gone. I think they vary widely, like all breeds!

Not for me. But those who love them love them deeply. My cousin had one and two friends, all in the UK. None proved a reliable ride. We have one long term in the riding school who tends to buck out hacking but has calmed with age.
The rumour is that these horses were prized by Native Americans for their colouring and were bred for colouring rather than temperament. But this could be a myth like people being wary of chestnut thoroughbred mares. The more mischievous side of the rumour is that the USA government deliberate bred appies so that the Native tribes had a constant supply of the most difficult horses.

My old share was appy x welsh D, he was a super boy, lots of bone and would have a try at anything really, the downside was he was super sharp and a bit neurotic, but he never did anything bad, just a nervy horse, his owner used to take him out x country, jumping clinics, pleasure rides etc, he had a decent tail and mane really but that was probably the welsh in him.
We have two proper appy's on our yard, both lovely kind horses, one with the bottle brush look, one without, both have great feet and both are proper characters. Lovely horses, but then like any breed there will be good examples and bad I guess. Some people don't like the pale skin around eyes though, I don't really care what colour a horse is if it's a good horse.
I too would phone the owner and ask, you've nothing too lose, I also know of someone who put riding in her share advert as a tempter I guess, she just wanted help with the horse but assumed no one would be interested unless she offered riding too. Good luck :)

Thank you so much for your replies. It sounds like they're a bit of a 'marmite' horse then :) Stubborn is fine, we'd suit each other! So is intelligent, kind and sane. A bit spooky isn't a problem as long as it's a 'sense of humour' response rather than an 'I'm terrified and don't care what you say' way. I'm not so keen on neurotic and sharp as I'm not massively confident and don't bounce very well any more! It sounds like it is down to the individual horse each time though. Jessey, I have so much respect for people like your friend; stories like that make me pause when I think 'I can't'. They look incredible together, I love how intelligent and alert the horse looks.

I would really like to help out at a riding school but I only know of a couple round here and they're big pony club centres. I'm a teacher so when I'm free, so are the children and the yards tend to be overrun with willing teenage volunteers. I do enjoy my job but during my holidays I don't really want to be surrounded by more children ;)!

I would give the owner a call Em, you have a great knowledge of all things horsey, you have just been out of the saddle for a while and I think any owner would be lucky to get you as their sharer and I bet you'll be back riding in no time :D

That's a really nice thing to say, thank you:D I really appreciate the encouragement from you all. I think I will brave it and contact the owner. She may well have found someone by now but it's worth a go.

Reactions: Jessey
Owned/ridden a few and the ones I've come across were/are sharp and not a quiet ride, very pretty but I know of 3 now that are talented jumpers but quirky horses. Have a spotted ATM that came with issues however they have been dealt with but she still isn't a sensible ride. Having said that a local riding school did used to have one but sold him on, unsure why. I guess there's good and bad in every breed. x

I guess there's good and bad in every breed. x
I think you're right although more ticks are coming up for 'sharp/crazy/quirky' than sane and sensible. I really appreciate hearing your experiences as it means I know a bit more what to watch out for. I've sent a message to the owner (no phone number) so will see if she gets in touch:)

Ours is very loving though on the ground and not particularly Marish, she's actually far more loving than when she first arrived almost as if she's grateful to be out of pain and that someone's believed in her enough to look at her as a whole rather than just the behaviour she was displaying. x

They are smart, very smart but when you get them on side they are brilliant. I have had my mare for 13 years and other people might describe her as sharp but she is probably one of the safest horses you will ever meet and takes my dad out for hacks even though he can't ride. She is smart, brave and amazing fun.

I love appys <3

As everyone said above, you either love them or hate them. They are very curious creatures. They are very smart and generally hard headed, stubborn and independant. When this is combined with an underlying poor temperament, you can have a nightmare of a horse. But most people breed with temperament in mind and with a good underlying temperament,these traits just add character. If you get along with them and figure them out you will find them very rewarding. But there are many people that hate working with them and would never have one. I guess you should go meet him and find out if you are an appy person or not :)

Oh by the way, a couple of sayings about appies.

One, they have "appitude"

Two - why did the native americans ride appaloosas into war? So they were mad as hell when they got there.

Three - why did the native americans ride appaloosas into war? So that their good horses didnt die.

Reactions: Em 1 and Jessey
There's an Appaloosa stud here. I nearly bought a plain bay gelding from them but he did like to throw his weight around. They're Marmite horses - can get hot headed but they're also very loyal.

newrider.com