Talk to me about boots!

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I ride in paddock boots and half-chaps - no idea what make they are, nothing expensive, but they're super-comfy and now falling apart. I had some Ariat Bromonts for show use, but I've just sold them on eBay as I don't massively like riding in long boots - I have slim legs and narrow feet so get a better fit with short boots and chaps. Also, as I never ride in long boots normally, it make me feel extra weird when I put them on for shows, which doesn't help with the nerves! Anyway, as I prefer paddock boots and chaps, I thought I'd get some nice ones which will do for every day AND shows. I like the lace-up ones so was thinking Shires Bramptoms - anyone tried these? I'm open to suggestions.

What do you ride in, foot and leg-wise, and would you recommend it?

Not seem the Shires Bramptons. I do like the look of their Norfolk long ones tho. They do a good range of fittings. I keep dropping hints to OH......:p

Riding wise I feel happiest and comfiest in my MH high riders. I have the SC3 stirrups and although they don't lock in with normal MH boots they do seem to "fit" and feel secure.
For yard work it's either my MH steel toe jodhpur boots or Sherwood country long ones. I also bought Rhinegold jod boots which are super comfy and look smart enough to go into town in. Though have to say they don't have the best grips.

Just googled the Bramptons - nice! They have a detail which is nice on the front.
They do look nice, don't they? I wear my falling-apart paddock boots ALL the time - hence why they are falling apart - so think I can justify buying myself a pair of those.

Reactions: Trewsers
I've got Ariat short boots and leather gaiters for every day, best boots I've ever worn, like a pair of slippers, I mostly just ride in long socks and don't bother with my chaps. I wear mine to turn out, muck out in and they're showing no signs of wear. The shires ones do look similar. I've got a pair of Tredstep long boots, still in the painful process of breaking them in :oops: currently sporting blisters on the back of my ankles! Hopefully once I've worn them more they should get better.

Reactions: squidsin
I've got Ariat short boots and leather gaiters for every day, best boots I've ever worn, like a pair of slippers, I mostly just ride in long socks and don't bother with my chaps. I wear mine to turn out, muck out in and they're showing no signs of wear. The shires ones do look similar. I've got a pair of Tredstep long boots, still in the painful process of breaking them in :oops: currently sporting blisters on the back of my ankles! Hopefully once I've worn them more they should get better.

Oooh sympathy for the blisters! Why do they have to make elegant long boots so dam uncomfy?!
I once tried a pair of lovely looking Just Toggs ones on in a tack shop. I literally walked the length of the shop in them and had to sit down and remove them as my left foot was immediately raw:eek:such a shame because I'd have loved them and they were a good price......

I think over the years I have tried most long boot makes, The ariat's were lovely and last about 2 years, Currently in Mark Todd these were like slippers the minute I put them on the zip is just going now but they are so comfy. I have a new pair of MH in the cupboard.

I go through a pair every year really and my yard is not even muddy! In the winter I only wear them to ride in as well. I guess with just having the one horse to ride now I will not be in them as much so they may just last me longer!!

Oooh sympathy for the blisters! Why do they have to make elegant long boots so dam uncomfy?!
I once tried a pair of lovely looking Just Toggs ones on in a tack shop. I literally walked the length of the shop in them and had to sit down and remove them as my left foot was immediately raw:eek:such a shame because I'd have loved them and they were a good price......

I know :( I struggled to find a pair that fitted as I've got quite slim legs so when these were on offer I just brought them, but I've hardly worn them because they rub so much and I look like John Wayne walking in them as they're still stiff :rolleyes: I really need to man up and just wear them, as they say no pain no gain but I always end up in my short boots!

Slim legs I'm so jealous!!!

I got Ariat terrain Lace ups and I also just got a pair of the zip ups
they feel awesome (which means since I love them they will get discontinued):confused:

I use half chaps on top of them but not all the time.

They feel good on in and out of the saddle!

I'm the opposite to your slim legs (super jealous!!) I have short legs and chunky calves from running and weightlifting. I had a really, really great pair of short boots by Rhinegold which were very comfy and I believe they are relatively cheap in most tack shops so good value for money. They lasted a long time with lots of battering.

Personally I prefer the feel of long boots as my leg just feels more secure. I currently ride in the Toggi Calgary in an XW width :oops: which fit like a glove and were the only long boots that fit me in both length and width; I was told they also do them in a slim leg and I would assume based on mine that it would likely be a good fit. They have lasted amazingly well too, never had wet feet even through the muddiest of fields, and just need a simple wipe down with a wet cloth every now and then. I've also found them really good when turning out in muddy fields as they don't tend to suction into the mud the way slip on ones can. I'm dreading the day they fall apart! Tempted to pick up another pair and just put them away because I love them so much.

I'm the opposite to your slim legs (super jealous!!) I have short legs and chunky calves from running and weightlifting. I had a really, really great pair of short boots by Rhinegold which were very comfy and I believe they are relatively cheap in most tack shops so good value for money. They lasted a long time with lots of battering.

Personally I prefer the feel of long boots as my leg just feels more secure. I currently ride in the Toggi Calgary in an XW width :oops: which fit like a glove and were the only long boots that fit me in both length and width; I was told they also do them in a slim leg and I would assume based on mine that it would likely be a good fit. They have lasted amazingly well too, never had wet feet even through the muddiest of fields, and just need a simple wipe down with a wet cloth every now and then. I've also found them really good when turning out in muddy fields as they don't tend to suction into the mud the way slip on ones can. I'm dreading the day they fall apart! Tempted to pick up another pair and just put them away because I love them so much.

I love my Rhinegold short boots.
I am however a long boot killer. The Toggi Calgary ones I had fell to pieces in a matter of months. But I do seem to get through most long ones and am lucky to get a winter out of any unless I am super careful and don't wear them other than for riding.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Slim leg, I think 13" calf in Tredstep gaiters, loved those.
But I have gone back to long boots, Harry Hall. Only put on to ride, take off once dismount.

So strange that your Toggi Calgary boots fell apart so quickly @Trewsers ! Mine have been amazing quality! I do expect you make more use of them than I do but fingers crossed mine last another winter.

So strange that your Toggi Calgary boots fell apart so quickly @Trewsers ! Mine have been amazing quality! I do expect you make more use of them than I do but fingers crossed mine last another winter.
I am a boot killer too. I tried these they lasted a year.

Currently going through a whole new world of pain breaking in my new mountain horse boots. Never had to break in my mark todd or ariat . Will not be buying these again

I'm naughty... I wear my hunter wellies for everything! Not that I've ridden for 18 months! I have a pair of Toggi long boots and high are ok but cut my ankles if I don't roll my jods up underneath

I have Dublin half chaps and boots. Had them for years now and they're still going strong. There's an elasticated panel on the chaps so they're comfy with give and the boots have a steel toecap and invincible grippy sole. The only problem I have is that the elastic on the chaps that goes under the boot is starting to give. I'd recommend them to anyone though.

I am a boot killer too. I tried these they lasted a year.

Currently going through a whole new world of pain breaking in my new mountain horse boots. Never had to break in my mark todd or ariat . Will not be buying these again

Oh that's a shame about the MH ones, I've not done too badly pain wise in those!

I love boots, they are so my weakness. I bought the Shires one and some new chaps, and they're lovely and I won my class wearing them so clearly lucky too, ha! But now I have my eye on some brown HKM field boots on eBay!

Reactions: Trewsers
I love boots, they are so my weakness. I bought the Shires one and some new chaps, and they're lovely and I won my class wearing them so clearly lucky too, ha! But now I have my eye on some brown HKM field boots on eBay!

I like the country boots HKM do, they looked a good price too.
Ooooh I do love a new boot.....:p:D

newrider.com