Talk to me about stock saddles

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
So far my quick browse appears to be finding they are described as being suitable for most horses. Now they are not as far as i can tell treeless and even if they were-i describe that as most fit most horses not all. No such thing.

I am interested because if i ever do change saddles it could be into one of these. I want to do polocrosse and gymkana type stuff and so far i have used my current saddle and also done it bareback. I am interested in the Australian not western, i can see the horn being in the way when i lean down from side to side.

I have rode in one and oh my it was comfy for a long hack and you sure feel secure with the poleys but perhaps a little too secure.
They are comfortable and I thoroughly enjoyed my ride in it on my friends cob a few years back but he was a real steady eddie,I know they are described as been great for youngsters,spooky horses etc but I think I may have felt a little too restricted and secure had I been on a horse who could be sharp,great they help you too stay on but for me personally I prefer abit more space.
As for fitting I know she had real issues finding one wide enough and he wasn't a wide cob as far as cobs go,she ended up importing one for a pretty penny at the time as they aren't that easy to find in the uk in the wider widths.most tend to be pretty narrow,medium at most but certainly doable.
Re western,I wouldn't fancy the horn if doing gymkana or polo cross but you can get the hornless,more endurance/western type hybrid again comfy and no horn.
I tried finding a western saddle for malaika as I love western saddles but had no luck after numerous attempts despite what some people say western do not fit anything either :) so treeless with a western/English mix in my sensation is great :)

I may also find them s bit restrictive after having had the freedom, the ones I have seen are medium fit.
I have a feeling she will be xxwide.

They rarely come in wide or ex wide. They are for hard fit, racing snake hipped Australian stock horses who carry not an ounce of fat.

ONLY buy one that is made in Oz. There are a lot of cheap nast Indian repros about.

If you can get one in a wider fit they are very comfy and well designed for long hours....jsut not designed for our fat, European cobby types.

I remember raising the subject with my saddle fitter about 5 years ago. She didn't have much experience of them but thought itd be hard with Joy because of her length and flat cob back. Have to admit the Aussie stock saddles still appeal to me now.

Last edited:
newrider.com