Tango got stuck in the fence!

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Lucikly I was up the field when it happened. I had just put him back in the field after a lovely grooming session and a much better lunging session. I went to the stables to get something and came back. I saw him playing with the neighbours fence and shouted at him to get off. And again. And then realised that he couldn't actually put his foot down! :eek:

About a foot from the ground there is a line of wire (not barbed - just plain sheep wire I think, next door have sheep) in the fence. Tango must have been pawing the ground near it (as a horse from next door had just been passed to say hello but had since gone) and got the wire stuck inbetween his hoof and his shoe!!! It was well wedged in - about 3 inches down the shoe, and was not budging. All the time Tango could not put his foot down as the fence was too tight. :frown:

So, first things first - had a major panic. :redface:Just couldn't think what to do first - need help, where's my phone? Back in the stables! I need it but should I leave him? Well am going to have to. Where can I put youngest daughter out of harms way.....and on and on....

Eventually got phone and incredibly luckily the girl from the field next door had been helping me lunge so was able to get her to come straight away. I never usually see her and we are not on a livery yard so no-one else around that was incredibly lucky!

Both the other horses came to see what the matter was and stood near him the whole time. Bless him - he was as cool as a cucumber! He never panicked once. It could have been awful, with him pulling back and ripping all his tendons and things, but thank god that just didn't happen. He just stood there as if to say "well this is a bit embarrassing"!!

We couldn't get the wire out but found some wire clippers and cut the wire and then using pliers we managed to pull it out. Phew!!!!! Am so so so grateful for girl next doors cool head and strength! She did it all and I just held on to him and his foot!

So that was my first horse owners emergency! I hope there isn't another one anytime soon!!

Poor Tango, such a good boy not panicking.

So relieved to read that it ended well...I'd panic too, hope I have help when my first real emergency happens.

Wow, that is a seriously cool customer.

Tango, not you! :tongue:

I am so glad it ended well. Glass of wine all round! Carrot for Tango!

Sioned's FAVOURITE trick is to get caught in the fencing, god knows how long she must have been stood there at times. Bert always races up to the gate shouting to tell me so I always know before seeing it !!!

Thankfully she has not done it for ages, but eventually I ran electric tape in front of it..............she fancies one of the geldings in the next Yard !!

Blimey, that's yours and CMPs horse doing the exact same thing just weeks apart - glad all ok.

I dont know how i'd have coped had it have been one of mine - "runs off to touch wood"

I was afraid to keep reading this ..... thank goodness Tango is such a good boy. I think you were lucky to have found him and he must appreciate his good home. Glad it worked out okay.

Oh goodness what an angel that boy is turning out to be! How lucky were you that he didn't panic? We have a horse on our yard who had an altercation a month ago with a strand of mains-electrified wire and is currently on box-rest, bandaged from stifle to fetlock, having lost a large flap of skin on the inside of his hock....

I had a yearling cob once who managed to get a hoof caught in a large-hole haynet and I reckon he spent a large part of the night with his hoof hanging... he was such a good boy whilst I frantically hacked to get him free when I eventually found him..... totally unharmed (thank goodness for thick feathers) A lesson learned by Domane too.....

Oh for goodness sake! What is wrong with our horses???
Well done for quickly thinking about what to do and a big well done to Tango for being nice and calm too.

At least you managed to get your boy out, Caymen was rather dramatic in the fact that he had the fire brigade attend :redface:

I can just imagine the look on his face, I suspect it was the same one that Caymen was sporting a few weeks ago... oh dear LWTB.... If Tango is anything like my boy, you are going to have a lot of fun with him!

newrider.com