tasty slow cooker recipes

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
I got a snazzy slow cooker for christmas, have been hankering after one for ages! i have a few recipes pinched from my mum's cook books but was wondering if NR had any inspirational ideas on what to cook in it? looking for veggie/chicken/pork recipes as i don't eat beef, lamb or game.

I've just got a fantastic slow cooker cookbook that covers everything from soups to stews, curries etc etc it's called Slow Cookers by Jane Price

I don't tend to follow recipes specifically for slow cookers, but if you want to go out and leave stuff cooking for 8/9 hours, leave on the lowest setting, throw in enough RAW veggies to at least cover the bottom of the slow cooker (onion, garlic, carrot, mushrooms, big chunks of pepper etc), brown your chicken/pork in a pan and add that, then add just enough stock to cover. If you want it done quicker (say 4 hours) use the higher setting but it's not as moist and the meat not as juicy.

Only thing to remember about slow cookers is that they retain ALL moisture so you can't put as much stock in as you would in a normal stew/casserole you would cook in the oven. They also retain all grease so if cooking mince etc you might want to drain off the grease before adding it. I also find that flavours are stronger so add slightly less spice/herbs than you would do normally.

I make all sorts in mine, but I LOVE chilli! I usually throw in 1 onion, couple of cloves of garlic, 1 pepper, mushrooms and a little frozen sweetcorn. I usually use turkey mince and brown it off in a pan with some salt and pepper. I make sure to drain ALL the fat cos again it stays in there and makes it greasy if not. I then put a couple of tins of tomatoes or a jar of Dolmio on top and add a tin of kidney beans (drained) teaspoon of chilli powder, half a teaspoon of cumin and half of coriander. I also make a bean version with a tin of butter beans and canneloni beans (both drained) instead of the mince. That can now be left and does not NEED to be stirred, perfect if you're at work all day or outside busy with the horses.

I also like chicken stew, again raw veg, brown the chicken in a pan with garlic and herbs, and add chicken stock. Coq au vin is also good, same as above just use half chicken stock and half red wine. Sausage casserole is another one I've tried, cutting up sausages and pan frying, draining the grease and then adding on top with tomatoes/Dolmio!

love the ideas melmo! i wanted a slow cooker so i could set it off in the morning and have something ready when i got back from the yard. Think i will try your chilli recipe tomorrow - yum!

I have found sausage and bacon stew... Yum!

I dont like bacon, but actually like it in this!!

Some sausages, chopped... Bacon, chopped... tin or two of chopped tomatoes... garlic... S&P... bean that you fancy (black eyed, chilli, kidney, canelotti etc etc :)) Throw it all in and leave :) Serve with a jacket potato - if you use low fat sausages and lean bacon its nice and healthy too :)

I tend to get a sharwoods packet mix and do things like chicken chasseur in it, sausage casseroles, chilli. Somebody i work with cooks joint of meat in it but i don't know how.

I make all sorts in mine, but I LOVE chilli! I usually throw in 1 onion, couple of cloves of garlic, 1 pepper, mushrooms and a little frozen sweetcorn. I usually use turkey mince and brown it off in a pan with some salt and pepper. I make sure to drain ALL the fat cos again it stays in there and makes it greasy if not. I then put a couple of tins of tomatoes or a jar of Dolmio on top and add a tin of kidney beans (drained) teaspoon of chilli powder, half a teaspoon of cumin and half of coriander. I also make a bean version with a tin of butter beans and canneloni beans (both drained) instead of the mince. That can now be left and does not NEED to be stirred, perfect if you're at work all day or outside busy with the horses.

Can i just say, i made this last night left overnight in the slow cooker and it is delicious!!! so, so yummy! next it will be sausage and bacon stew, OH liked the sound of that :D loved being able to come home and have hot food ready to go. I'm a slow cooker convert!

Can i just say, i made this last night left overnight in the slow cooker and it is delicious!!! so, so yummy! next it will be sausage and bacon stew, OH liked the sound of that :D loved being able to come home and have hot food ready to go. I'm a slow cooker convert!

I don't have a slow cooker so I cook the sausages and then throw it all in the pan, so only takes 20mins or so, but much nicer when its left to cook for a while :D

YAY eventerbabe!! I tend to do that too, do the prep night before if working an early shift, stick it on as I'm rushing out the door and food ready when I get home!! Stops me eating as many takeaways when I'm in 'can't be bothered cooking' mode :p

I think the benefit comes with things like stews and casseroles where you may just eat them on their own - an you avoid the "ugh can't be bothered" thing when you et in as dinner is hot and ready to be eaten. Also make life easy if lots of diff meal times eg if kids are in and out o activities etc

newrider.com