Teach me all you know (NH)

*Goldfish*

Oct 31, 2008
Hiya. Let me quickly introduce myself & my pony because I don't think (m)any of you will recognise me! (self confessed lurker:eek:) I'm 20 (thats enough about me hehe) and I own a 6year old haflinger - he is a typical haflinger, stubborn and strong - but I love him anyway.

Right now the problem. I have had him almost a year and I'm finding progress very slow. I think maybe I am going about things wrong and as I love trying new things I'm going to give natural horsemanship a go. Whether or not it works is where you all come in :D because I haven't a clue where to start!!

So first things first, what do I need to buy? (I have a very limited budget so I'm hoping this section is not very big!)

Secondly where do I start?! As in sandschool/ stable/ field!

Third. What do I actually do? Haha:eek:

Fourth. Do you think it will work with my horse? Has anyone done any NH on a haffie on here? I would love to hear all about it :)

What am I aiming for, you ask? Well I just want more of a bond with him (or connection I don't think he is the sort of horse that does cuddles/ kisses) I'm not expecting to ever be able to ride him around without tack, or load him without touching him, but if I could one day, you would not hear me complaining!!

Any help really is apprechiated :):)

Hi Goldfish.
Nh was the reason I was able to create a bond with my Haffie mare after 3 yrs of trying. She sounds like your lad.I could stroke her, scratch her, groom her etc and she would just ignore me. She was opinionated and got annoyed with me if I pushed her to do what I wanted. She was nicknamed DaisyRatbag.
I started researching NH over a yr ago and have not stopped since, I find it so fascinating.
There is lots of info to be had on the internet for free if you are willing to take the time to search.
I started with the blogg of a woman called Carolyn Resnick. She tells you how to spend undemanding time with your horse, then move around, and move your horse around in ways that establish bonds and hierarchy, with you as a leader. I did this and Daisy changed alot. At the end of 2 hrs she aloowed me to scratch her neck, visibly enjoyed it, and groomed me back. That was the start of our relationship.
I have since studied Parelli, Richard Maxwell, Intelligent Horsemanship and many others. You will find many opinions trashing or praising all these people but IGNORE them !
Make up your own mind. Think for yourself. Choose the bits you like and which YOU think apply to YOUR horse and YOUR situation.
It really is a wonderful journey once you start to understand your horse and how to communicate.
There are also plenty of very knowledgable, helpful folk on here.
Good luck on your journey xx

Thankyou for your reply. I have just found Carolyn's website and started reading. Got lots of tips already. Good to hear from another haffie owner too :) gives me lots of hope

There are lots of resources for us NHers. Books, DVD's, Instructors, pals, the NH section on NR etc

I found that getting to know the NH community around me helped. This was I was able to stay in touch with instructors and also I had people around me to play and ride with.

Good luck!

I am not a follower of a set method - I use traditional and NH ways. I know my horse is barefoot, treeless and a mix of btted and bitless... it just happened that one after the other the options worked out better for madam - not a choice on my part to be "alternative" - it was my pony's choice!

I have to second the importance of what DFG said - I think its really important that you think for yourself and analyse to some degree the tasks/activities you are going to do. For example I have a problem picking up Silvers feet. Some methods advocate smacking/shouting, she ignores this and doesnt help, in my opinion to build a trusting relationship as she already fears people hruting her. I could put her in a round pena dn keep contact on her leg until she stops moving away and picks up - except we dont have a round pen. So on the basis that she is more comfortable in open space, I use a lunge line so she has the option to run from me to a certain extent, but isnt trapped like in a stable, but I have sufficient control to remain safe and achieve what we want (all be it eventually sometimes!).

I bought some marine rope from B&Q and made my own halter. It cost me about £6 for a pony size one, and took about half an hour to make. The stick thing is optional. I dont use one, but may well need to with Rascal as he has more personal space issues that madam, she is much easier to yield and understands when Im asking her to move towards/away from me - Rascal just wants to be as close as possible all the time. The stick can be made with some garden cane and rope on the end of it - you shouldnt use a whip as it "stings" and thus its not pressure per say as it gives and releases too quick.

I personally would get 101 horsemanship exercises, its brilliant. Its where Ive started and admittedly not got very far, but thats through lack of time etc. Working from the basics of yielding forehand/quaters, understanding personal space and leading. It doesnt follow a particular school although has similar lines to parelli and QS and several other thought schools as such. They are simple exercises to help build up manners and relationship.

I love the idea that they present is that the only horse that leads perfectly (which requires total trust in owner) is a horse that will lead anywhere, regardless of where it is. So they should follow into a trailer, over a tarpaulin, through water etc with no fuss because they trust you to take them a safe route. That trust can then be transferred to ridden work. A bit extreme perhaps, but I love the concept of it.

newrider.com