Teaching a horse to lunge

ArabLvR

Aug 15, 2008
London
Hey everyone.

I loan a 17 year old mare that to my knowledge has NEVER been lunged before. She is getting quite fat, so I want to introduce lunging so that I can still excercise her if I cant ride for whatever reason and to build on her fitness. I know how to lunge and I know that I will have to build up the timing etc gradually. What I really want to know is how I can teach her to lunge? I was planning on having someone lead her on the outside to begin with, but if anyone has any other tips and suggestions then it would be much appreciated!

Thank-you!

Don't really know tbh .. I had to re-teach Freya how to.I just made sure she understood voice aids first, so would lead her around, when i ask her to stand, i'll do it as you usually would when leading about & i'll say "annd staaaand".When i want her to walk on, i'll ask her etc etc.
And make sure there's a difference in the way you say each so it's easier for them.
I'd start with having someone lead her round on a lunge line after she's got to grips with voice aids..
I don't really know from there as Freya seems to have picked it up with just doing that.
Hope that helps a little though.

We used to have a pony at work who hadn't been broken properly in his previous home and didn't know how to bend at all, let alone lunge.
If you have an arena, or a fenced off area which you can simulate one with, start working him around you in a circle in one of the corners, so that you have 2 sides that will help to guide the horse in circle. As you do this, use your voice as the others have mentioned and the end of the lunge line or lunge whip to just drive him on, and push him out if needs be.
As your horse gets better and more confident circling in the corner, gradually move the circle away from the corner so that there is only one side of the fence to support, and then gradually so that you can lunge in the middle of the arena.

Oooh I am glad someone has aske this as it was something I was gonna ask!

Just wanted to ask, I am gonna be doing my lunging in a field and was gonna tape off a place to do it. WOuld you recommend a round or square/rectangular menage to learn in? Just wondered if round would be better?:)

In an ideal world where we all have these facilities, I find the round pen invaluable for any ground work with horses.
When I have access to a round pen I will free lunge the horses (no lunge line etc). They soon get the idea and then it is easy to lunge them off the lunge line.

If a round pen isn't available, then I will have an assistant with me to walk at the horses head whilst I am lunging, until they get the hang of it.

Good thread, I am quite interested in this as apparently Doey goes mad on the lunge, and I would rather she didn't!

I must ask, should one lunge in a headcollar or a bridle, or do I need to buy one of those headcollars with nosebands with three rings on? Also do you need a roller or is that more for young horses?

I prefer to double lunge, horses seem to take to it far easier than single lunge as you are able with light hands to encourage the horse to work away from you. & with double lunge methods and good hands there is no need for side reins or gadgets, just a bridle or cavesson and a well fitted roller with plenty D rings.

Sorry i'm bit of a blonde div can you explain the double method?
I'm thinking of it as long reins? Am i thinking along the right lines?
I had the crazy idea to inhand hack both my ponies together but on the days when time is short i could lunge...
Jazz i've introduced to the school walking him around only getting use to the school and my voice commands
Carn well when he gets into the school its time to kick up his heels & hoon around
So this thread come at the right time for me to pick up tips as well as the OP with lunging

Yep, your thinking right, its lunging using long lines.

First line goes bit/ D ring/ You.

2nd line goes Bit/D ring/comes from behind the horse and sits just above the knee/You.

Contact is the same if not lighter (depends on the lines you use) as ridden, effect and benefits are far more than single lunge work, you can really get the horse working good.

newrider.com