Teaching Sideways, Yay, Nay or Why

That makes sense NF.

There are a lot of things Kev can do in the field or when he is evading doing something he doesn't want to....but see when I try to ask him for it purposefully it's like I'm asking the most difficult question in the world! Bless! If only he realised he was more than able.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Sideways is the trickiest move and fir every horse the button is in a different place. Our nh instructor never cracked sideways with tobes, but i did after watching a Clinton Anderson dvd. I rarely use it.

Neala and I kinda do sideways, her straightness isn't perfect but we are both learning, malaika was very good at it and it came in very useful out hacking more than anything else but malaise could do it, Neala can but she is still a baby and we just play mainly with stuff for the moment.

We can do sideways. Im not sure if its his driving history but crossing his legs is something that comes easily to him.

What we struggle with is maintaining our rhythm, we are both very 1 sided. On his good rein we can do a lovely shoulder in and leg yield and maintain a steady consistent rhythm in W&T.

On his bad rein in LY he rushes in W and would rather move over than travel forwards. LY in T is very iffy.

I do it, from the western background I guess but even before I did western moving sideways was often something I asked of horses. I think it's beneficial to be able to move your horse in any direction you choose when you need to, plus the other benefits of all lateral work.
Jess struggled with this move for about a year, she just couldn't get what I was asking, and got her legs in a muddle and never straight and super stressed out if I asked too much, then I worked with a trail trainer in from Canada and she made it click for jess in about 5 minutes flat, amazing when the penny drops!

Reactions: KP nut
[QUOThorseandgoatmom, post: 2954699, member: 220186"]Did you send that person over here, I've had some bad ones too!:mad:[/QUOTE]
No I didnt, but its made me fearful now of teaching it in case mine doesnt get it or doing it creates issues.
I might mention it to new instructor, but we work on whatever I am up to at the time.
I wont see her now until Feb.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com