Team showjumping - good and bad day.

sarahandbronson

Goodbye NR :(
Mar 8, 2009
nottinghamshire
Sometimes I just don't 'get' Bounty. Today was one of those days.
My branch of the pony club was hosting an inter-branch team show jumping competition today, and asked if I could take Bounty in the 85cm, and Little Gin in the 75cm.

First up was Bounty (as 85cm was first class in main ring; 75cm was last in second ring). Warmed up lovely, flew over the practice jumps once she'd settled. Was called to go into the ring; Bounty started rearing and bucking (thought I was coming off) and wouldn't go near the ring - so someone gave me a lead in and she was fine then. Jumped first fence fine, backed off at 2 and 3, but got over them, albeit messily. Backed off at 4, really put my leg on, and she slammed the anchors on and dropped her shoulder onto the fence. Nearly came off again. Jumped it fine second time, then wouldn't go over the water tray (5). Bounty threw a wobbly, at which point I called her a cowbag and we got over it, and 6 afterwards (but she did try to run out). Then 7 she just skidded into again and sent the fillers flying. Retired before they managed to ring the bell to eliminate me...
Still had to do the jump-off though, as it was a team competition. First member of the team was eliminated in the jump-off, which meant I had to get round if we wanted a placing. Bounty's owner had finally turned up, and helped me warm her up again, riding her forward, then bringing her back for the fences. Went in no problems and absolutely flew round - clear. I know I rode differently in this round, but I wouldn't have thought that it would make as much difference as it did, especially seeing as I didn't have to 'get after her' as much. Very very confused by this mare.
Then the judge tried to eliminate me for supposedly going before the bell - turned out it was ring 2's bell that went off, but how was I supposed to know that :confused: In the end they let me off, and the team came third overall. Bounty didn't want her rosette so started doing mini-rears and running backwards :eek:

The took Ginny in the 75cm, and the heavens opened. Got a double clear - the team's overall score was 4 faults :D Came third overall as we didn't push it in the jumpoff as it was slippery. Very very pleased with Ginny - only being riding her for 3 weeks now, love her to bits already :D:D:D

When I got back to the yard, went to see Bronson, and he just looked at me as if to say 'why didn't you take me?' Wish his leg was better; he'dve loved the course today.

Only one picture - mum managed to forget that she had the camera on her, despite having it in her hand :confused:
bounty001.jpg

I did fold over the fence, honest! I just sit up very quickly because Bramble (who I learnt to jump on) used to spin round after his jumps sometimes, and Bounty likes to p*** off after them. I look like an idiot...

Any suggestions as to what I can do that will help with the problems are more than welcome - she's come such a long way these past few months, but now I'm stuck :(

dont worry about it!
i went to a pc show about a month ago and i did 3 jumping classes and 1 WH class, well jenny was a complete tw*t. i didnt get placed in any jumping class which is really unusual for me coz jenny is a super star at jumping, but i got placed 3rd in the WH (to say i didnt walk the course coz i was jumping at the time so i had to learn it by watchng other people). In the first jumping class (novice jumping) which was a warm up for me and it was about 1ft9 i got 4 faults in the first round coz i crossed my tracks, the fence was facing towards a corner and you had to turn right, jenny isnt really good at bending right so i had to turn left and circle back round. in the second class (intermediate jumping, it was about 2ft3 i got four faults for a fence down and in the 3rd jumping class (open jumping) which was about 2ft9 i had eight faults for having 2 fences down. i was really gutted coz it was my fiest she of the year and i expected better of jenny. however it was windy (it was on top of an hill) and also the jumping ring had 10 jumps in it and quite small tbh compared to other outdoor shows ive been to what have had less jumps and a bigger ring. oh yeah i almost forgot i think they got the rings mixed up, as the WH ring was bigger with only 6 jumps in.

sorry for the rant and essay lol but we all have these days so dont think you are the only one coz there are other people too

thanks ponyzrule - do you think it's just a matter of time before things start to click into place?
I don't know why, but I get the feeling that, if she was just an 'average' horse or pony, then I wouldn't be too fussed. But, because I know what she's capable of, I get really frustrated when we have these one step forward, two steps back days. I don't get to take her to many places, maybe I should start begging for lifts (won't go in my trailer) as it might be that there were all other horses there?

btw, that's a bit odd with the ring sizings - maybe they were expecting lots of people in the wh ring?

btw, that's a bit odd with the ring sizings - maybe they were expecting lots of people in the wh ring?

tbh i dont know lol
do you think it's just a matter of time before things start to click into place?
yes it probably is it was same with me and jenny

as it might be that there were all other horses there?
i thibk jenny played because her field mate was here too and she kept nieghing to her so she wasnt concentrating

hopefully at this show im going to this weekend jenny should be better behaved:D

newrider.com