Tell me about Fell Ponies

Zoesmom

Mar 26, 2008
Hi! I am new on this forum. I am a "mature" women in her 50s whose been riding steadily for over 20 years (and have owned my own horse for almost as long). I live in Massachusetts in the States, but I adore all the British Isles! I have never been the most confident rider, but I have learned to be competent. As the years have cranked on, along with aches and pains (and osteopenia), I have been thinking of downsizing to a pony. I currently own a lovely 15.2 hand Quarter horse mare, whom I can't seem to part with even though she can be a tricky ride. I lease to two great teenagers who love her. I've owned her for 5 years, but much of my riding time can be frustrating. She was only 3 when I bought her and now she is almost 9. She can be opinionated and can blow off my aides. I am a short petite person:5'3" and about 100 lbs (don't know how that translates to stones, sorry!). So lately my instructor has been giving me lessons on a 13.1 welsh pony cross and I have been having a blast. He is willing and comfortable, and fits me so well!

I recently found an ad for an 8 year old Fell Pony for sale in my area (they are very rare in the States). He sounds great and does just what I'm looking to do--trails and hacking, and low level dressage. I showed the video to my instructor and she thought he needed a lot of balancing at the canter, and thought it may be related to the breed (like a Freisian?). Since Fells are much more common in the UK than in the USA, I was looking for any opinions or thoughts on this breed as a safe, steady mount. I know one can't make generalizations about any breed, but I know so little about them, I thought I'd ask.

I love to see all the people riding ponies on this Board. I look forward to getting to know all you nice people:) Thanks, Nancy

I believe that as a breed Fells are very even tempered and reliable. Certainly they are the pony of choice for HM the Queen now she is in her 80s or is it 90s? She is often photographed riding a Fell.

I know Native Lover and other Felloholics will tell you more!

I've got a Fell, he carries me no probs, and I am considerably heavier than you, worse luck.

His canter is a little galumpy, more workman like than elegant. I don't really know if its the breed or just him. They were bred for pack ponies and agricultural use and to take the farmer into town, so a pretty canter wouldn't be that high on the agenda.

I bought him for his temprement, which is calm and loving. He can be cheeky, he is very clever, he can undo quick release knots, and if he cant he will nibble the baler twine and undo that with his lips. He has just discovered that he can turn his special haynet for fast eaters upside down, so the hay all falls out and he can eat if off the floor. His main focuss is eating, he likes to be the boss in his herd of two. In his mind he is the biggest horse on the yard, he is 13.2, on a yard full of racehorses. :wub:

at 7st a shetland would carry you with ease also!!! as would exmoors and stocky section As or dartmoor, all under 13hh :tongue:

Yeah, but legs might dangle a bit close to the ground on a Shetland. Be ok if it bucked though, it won't hurt too much.

I know nothing about Fell ponies, other than they are beautiful, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum, Zoesmom! :biggrin:

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great replies! My size can be an advantage and a disadvantage--I drool at all the tall, long legged riders around me and the gorgeous big horses they ride. On the other hand, I get to ride all the great ponies at the different riding schools I've been at and love it!! We do have an adorable hairy Shetland at our barn--he could probably carry me but could also buck me off just as quickly:)

As far as the Fell Pony's canter, I'm not looking for fancy--just comfortable. My quarter horse mare has an amazingly smooth canter, as does the little welsh guy I ride (he's got a hunter type stride--not a lot of knee action).

I guess I should just go and check this guy out. He's been for sale for awhile--don't know why--maybe hard to find the right match?

A steady, calm temperament, willing temperament is most important to me.

There is a Fell Pony in a field that I drive by on the way to my barn, and I just drool over him every time I pass by (actually, could be a mare).

Thanks for your insights and suggestions. What a great Board this is! Of course I'd love to see pictures of you and your ponies as well (doesn't have to be a Fell)

Hi Nancy =)

You're from Mass....I'm from Maine...not so far from you. I'm from Montana originally, so the east coast is still a new world to me.

I've been dreaming of a fell pony. SO pretty. Im about your height but about 15 lbs heavier and ride a 13.2 welsh pony. He's the perfect size. he carries me easily almost like he doesn't even notice Im there.

now that I've gotten used to the odd gravity off balance I felt at first ( i never felt it on a larger horse) I LOVE riding my pony.

Hope you find the perfect pony for you.

You want pictures of adults riding ponies? You have come to the right place!

We did this for Cherifen when she joined, we can do the same for you.

Come on pony peeps, out with the pics!

An ear shot from a lovely summer hack with my boy (Ziggy, a 14.1 unregistered Connemara - I am 5' 2' and currently 140lbs, was more like 155 lbs when these pictures were taken). Doesn't he have lovely ears?

Me with Ziggy on holiday in the New Forest

Me hugging Ziggy at the end of our very first walk and trot dressage test - we came second (because he was forward going and obedient, not pretty LOL)! He doesn't look very impressed though...

As you see a stocky 14.1 takes up my leg just absolutely fine. Who needs anything bigger?

Cherifen--I used to live in Maine--Bangor to be exact! Love it up there. I love the Welsh ponies--the one I am riding is a blast--I'm sure yours is too!

And Jane I Ziggy--your Connemara cross is gorgeous and you look wonderful together. A perfect fit. I learned to post the trot on a Connemara named Guinness, and he was such a good boy--did a little bit of everything and gave me confidence and the joy to keep riding.

I like the description of "armchair", Loti983:) Comfort is so important at my age!

I have to say that I am so impressed that so many adults on this board ride ponies--it gives me hope that it's okay!! Keep the pictures and stories coming! Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I only just found this thread as I have been without internet access. I am roughing it at the farm in the Caravan for a week or so just for fun.

Fell ponies, I am a massive fan ( I have owned four since I started riding and I am a novice rider myself) and have two Fell ponies a Black 13.2 Mare and a grey 13.3 gelding.They can be a great first purchase for novice and new riders. I will add some pics of them later :)

Fells have a nice temprement and are often used for riding for the disabled, they are weight carries and have great stamina for endurance riding, they can jump.You will find with most fell ponies their fabulous trot makes up for the canter ( though some Fells do have a nice canter, my mare does) ;-)

Sure footed for trail riding. Good doers ( mostly on slimming diets) so cheaper keepers than horses who require hard feed. Hard as nails hooves that often don't require shoes ( both of mine are barefoot).

A good Fell is an alrounder pony suitable for most disciplines including driving, jumping, dressage, hunting, hacking. Make good ponies for both adults and children.

I am going to add some society information for you were you can find out more about the breed in general and I hope that helps.

http://www.fellponysociety.org/

http://www.fpsna.org/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530966799#!/pages/The-Fell-Pony-Society/182704211775551

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530966799#!/profile.php?id=100002302056445

https://www.facebook.com/#!/fellponysociety

Last edited:
Heres some photos of my mare Branckenbank Eva (13 year old ) and my gelding Lunesdale Eagle ( Lunan 7 years old)

evaheadshot.jpg

untitled.jpg

Royal Windsor Horse Show ( spot the Queen in the crowd)
evaandqueen.jpg

lunan-1.jpg

Evathedivarosecottageshow.jpg

Last edited:
I have had the pleasure of riding the Queen's ponies at Balmoral, they are all either Highlands or Fells.

The Fell's are whizzier than the Highlands and more often than not like to be up the front on a ride (there is no order on the rides). But all ponies were beautifully trained, well mannered and incredibly fit. I don't think I would compare those ponies to the typical pony at home though!

There is a Fell in the field I keep my boy in, I haven't had the chance to ride him though since he has been lame since I've been there, but I have been told that he was a cracking pony when he was on form. Fun and safe - my favourite combination!

I say go and see him and let us know how you get on.

newrider.com