Tell me about Joint injections?

volcy

Cob Collector
Nov 6, 2008
E Sussex
Following on from my other thread we did manage to get her still enough for the 8 x rays and vet has phoned me with results...

May has significant arthritic changes on her front right leg in her coffin joint, pastern bone and joint and even her pedal bone since her xrays last July and side bone (?) on her left front..

Vet recommended that as the most significant changes are in the right coffin joint it would be worth injecting her with steroids and HA to see if it would help and make her more comfortable,

Sounds like a good idea, i know they don't always work but think I should try it and find out if it does in our case, my vet said she could do it in the field or i could go to a clinic but that would be quite difficult - what do you guys that have had them done do? What can i expect?

Sorry to hear this :( Rio had a couple of sets of injections into her stifle joint, and because any infection there would have serious consequences they were done at the vet's practice. As is often the case they did work, but only for a little while, there wasn't a permanent improvement.

Is your horse shod or barefoot? Some horses with that sort of condition benefit from being taken barefoot, and being able to work in boots and pads also reduces concussion. Good supplementation can also help.

Cant tell you much from personal exp as my mare's knees arent option for injections as spurs in between ligaments but my friend had them and is competing jumping etc again all going well 6 months down the line.

Sorry to hear this :( Rio had a couple of sets of injections into her stifle joint, and because any infection there would have serious consequences they were done at the vet's practice. As is often the case they did work, but only for a little while, there wasn't a permanent improvement.

Is your horse shod or barefoot? Some horses with that sort of condition benefit from being taken barefoot, and being able to work in boots and pads also reduces concussion. Good supplementation can also help.

This
You have described my old horse exactly,barefoot helped no end.
She had stifles done at the vet clinic bit had the coffin joint etc inborn front legs done at the yard and stabled for 2 days no problems.there was improvement but it is unfortunately not a permanent fix but certainly worth doing some horses benefit longer than others.
Sorry to hear your news and hope all will be well soon x

Trewsers will be able to give you the most up to date info as storm has just had it done in his hocks and now passed a sound,

Chanter had three different lots on his hocks over 1 1/2 but they did not last in his case and he is now on a bute a day instead. He had it done at the vets and in for one night only.

Sorry to hear your news.

I have heard mixed reviews. They tend to be used by people intending to carry on competing and so unable to use herbs or drugs that could give a positive test.

I personally ( not a professional view) would experiment with supportive herbal treatments first. That includes for me supplements such as Cortaflex, bute substitutes , devils claw, cider vinegar, oil supplements etc.

I bought a competition horse at 14 as a vet failure for a schoolmaster for my daughter. We were told he may carry on for a couple of years and were recommended cortaflex, he died eventually at 21 from unrelated issues having competed at a high level in dressage, showing and showjumping.

Shes been on superflex for two years, with a noticable improvement on that compared to other joint supplements, we've also been on occasional bute for the last year but my friend had very positive results with devils claw so we have just started this about 3 weeks ago and that seems to be helping.. Downhill is still a struggle though, which given we have an undulating field is a bit of a problem!

Im sort of torn really, the xrays were just to give us an idea a year on from the last round of them before my insurance finished and I knew it had got worse but then the vet threw in this suggestion given the changes she could see on the xrays..

Will talk to my farrier about going barefoot as well.

Storm has had them three times now - the first two times I "think" they made a quite an improvement. But, we had them done earlier this year and tbh, I don't think they were as effective. I would try them specially if your insurance will cover them, because combined with the necessary follow up checks it can rattle on a bit price wise.
We had them done here at home - we were very lucky because it was a nice, still, dry sunny day (rare!) and we literally did them outside of her stable. I held her throughout and she was mildly sedated and coped very well. There is a risk of infection and you have to keep them in for 24 hours afterwards. What we did was on vets advice let her wander a little on the yard with the gate shut, it was as much to keep an eye on her as anything really, just in case she decided to go and find something to bash herself on in the field!!!
Everything has to be sterile so the vet put a plastic sheet down on a large box that I moved from the tack room - this was for the actual injections etc. He was very good and found the injection site easily and she didn't fidget at all.
Have to say though, in her case, this time, we don't think they've really done a lot. After yesterday's vet visit we've decided to try her on bute as and when needed - so we will see how that goes.
That's not to say that they won't work for you - I believe they can be very successful and they can last for months.
There is a slight risk with them too - but I'm sure your vet will point this out if you decide to have them. Anything where a joint is concerned ie, injecting into it carries a risk - but I think it is very low.

If barefoot isnt an option you could try aluminium shoes like I did as lighter although wear if hacking alot. My mare loved them when recovering from first unsoundess.

I would go down the herbal route as this has done wonders for my horse that I wouldnt have believed if not seen with my own eyes and my vet said same when re exrayed her two years later. No bute needed in two years!

Give her devils claw, chamomile, meadowsweat, rosehip, parsley, yarrow.....

\do you compete at a high level as devils claw may show up?

Thanks for the info guys, I have decided to give it a try, although i may yet sway the other way before the vets appointment - I keep changing my mind.. But at least if I have tried it and it doesn't work then I know I tried? Trewsers I did go off an read your threads as well, my vet was the same, we are only doing it if it's a nice dry still day and she is to stay in afterwards. I also spoke to my dad about it just as a sound out and didn't realise they had one of their old boys done a few years ago, it's nice to hear about actual experiences for some reassurance even though my vet is excellent and gives good advice it's always nice to have some additional info.

TB Minx thanks for the herb recommendations, no we don't compete at high level, at the moment we aren't even sound enough to do more than a walk round the village. She is on devils claw, there is chamomile and meadowsweet in her herb mix she has for her skin (No she can't limit herself to just the one problem!!) and she has previously been on a joint supplement that also had rose hips in but not since I have swapped back to superflex.. I will have a look at the others. Do you mix them yourself?

Last edited:
newrider.com